Member shows up in LUWS but not on MLS

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
billybob00-p40

Member shows up in LUWS but not on MLS

Post by billybob00-p40 »

I requested a couple records a couple weeks back. I logged into my LUWS and they appear in the directory, however in MLS they do not.

So last night, I did a send/receive operation. Still no records.

Does the LUWS use a different database?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

The first thing I'd do is carefully search the MLS database. LUWS handles households with mixed lass names differently then MLS does. In LUWS, everyone is under the last name of the head-of-household. In MLS, each individual is under their own last name.

You might also try a membership refresh to see if they show up.

Failing that, I'd suggest a call to Local Unit Support come Monday.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

billybob00 wrote: Does the LUWS use a different database?
Technically it does use a different database than MLS, as the MLS one is local to the ward computer. But LUWS gets it data (weekly I believe) from CMIS (the central membership database at church headquarters).
So if you can't find it in MLS then a membership refresh as RussellHltn suggests should get things back in sync.
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

I wonder if your stake grants access to non-resident members. If so, each must be assigned to a ward. The ones showing up on your LUWS might be non-resident members that have just been assigned to your ward (they have to be assigned to one even if it doesn't make sense to do so). It seems this is the most likely cause, especially if they are not in your MLS yet. New names show up in MLS before they appear on the LUWS, not the other way around.
billybob00-p40

Post by billybob00-p40 »

What is a "membership refresh"? And what about a "non-resident" member?
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

billybob00 wrote:What is a "membership refresh"? And what about a "non-resident" member?
Under the file menu in MLS, there is an option to request membership refresh. Not sure exactly what it does, but my understanding is it reloads your membership info from CHQ's records. If these are the members you requested and they are now in your LUWS, they have been moved to your ward but not populated your MLS. A refresh could fix that.

A non-resident member is someone from another stake serving in your stake. This is most common in student wards/stakes where bishoprics are called from other stakes to serve in the unit. Their records remain in their home wards. In order for them to have access to their assigned unit's LUWS, the stake can add them as non-resident members, which grants them access to both stakes' LUWS.
billybob00-p40

Post by billybob00-p40 »

OK, I'll try the membership refresh. As far as the non resident member... they don't fit this criteria. This is a YSA/Student ward, and they are just normal members living in our stake's boundaries.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”