Multi user on 1 PC concurrently

Discussions around the setup, operation, replacement, and disposal of clerk computers, not to include using MLS
fz6y85

Multi user on 1 PC concurrently

Post by fz6y85 »

While speaking to a school teacher friend, he discussed one way they keep ther technology budged in check. they use a device to allow multiple users , each with their own keyboard, mounse, and monitor, to share 1 PC concurrently. In situations where we have multiple wards, and in familty history centres this technology could be useful, as we could provide more access points, without the additional costs of a new PC, Operating software, and power.. I haven;t used it , but I think it could be beneficial

http://ncomputing.com/Solutions/Howitworks.aspx
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

Khaxton wrote:In situations where we have multiple wards, and in familty history centres this technology could be useful...
I can see the benefit to family history centers. But for ward use this product really would only add to the current problem many users experience. MLS, which is the primary piece of software that units use on computers only permits one user at a time to have access. Most units have a waiting line of organization leaders waiting to get access to MLS. Adding more than one unit to a single computer would multiply the waiting time for access to MLS. Until the bottleneck around MLS is solved there is no benefit to sharing a single computer for units.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
fz6y85

What about when you have multiple wards, ?

Post by fz6y85 »

If you had multiple wards, would each ward effectively have their own virtual PC running, so each iteration of MLS, would be in it's own space.. I agree you would still have the issue of MLS only allowing 1 user access to the ward database at any one time.. Not that our ward has to worry about queueing up for access to the PC. Anyway just an idea...
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Khaxton wrote:If you had multiple wards, would each ward effectively have their own virtual PC running, ...
It depends on how the mult-user is implemented. If they share a common C partition, I don't think it will work.

FHD did look into a similar setup, but that was some time ago. I get the feeling it didn't work out.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
nutterb

Post by nutterb »

I stumbled on this the other day. I seem to recall that beta.lds.org was owned by the youth beta site, but no more. Now there's an introduction to the Church's new beta site. In the introduction, it says some interesting things
Beta Release 1 is focused on four key elements;
Each of these experiences will become fully usable within the next 30-60 days. Please help us refine these features of LDS.org by giving us your feedback as we move toward having a fully functioning site by Summer 2010. (emphasis mine)
Poking around in the section for clerks, it appears that all the menu options we normally find in MLS are to be available in the beta site. I'm curious to see how this progresses, because it all of the MLS functionality becomes available on the web for clerks, that's one less person that needs to use the computer on Sunday since he can do it at home throughout the week (something that would make me 100 times more efficient in my calling), and I might even be able to make it to Sunday School once in a while.

Return to “Clerk Computers”