Suggestion: MLS security self-reset

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
drepouille

Suggestion: MLS security self-reset

Post by drepouille »

As many of us are replacing administrative computers this year, we are all running up against the fact that we can only request MLS security resets from Local Unit Support during their regular business hours, Monday through Friday. If we do it on Friday, we must ensure we swap out the old computer before anyone in the unit does another send/receive.

I wonder if a feature could be added to MLS to do a self-reset? On the old computer, login to MLS, click a security self-reset menu item or System Options link. MLS connects to signal the Church servers to allow the NEXT connection to come from another computer.

When that connection terminates, backup MLS on the old computer, restore that backup onto the new computer, and do a send/receive to establish the new computer as the new client machine for the unit. (This may or may not be complicated by the presence of multiple units on a computer.)

I think that would be a really nice feature to add to MLS. It's also secure, even more secure than calling Local Unit Support. After all, they really don't know who is calling, but MLS knows who logged in and requested the reset.

Any discussion on this idea?

Dana Repouille
Council Bluffs Iowa Stake
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I suspect the security feature comes from Afaria. I'm not sure if it would support what you are asking for.

As a security precaution, a flag would have to be raised if this feature were to be used too frequently.

Also keep in mind that you can call for a reset before changing the computer out - just don't do any S/R from the old computer after the call.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
danpass

MLS security reset by STS

Post by danpass »

A recent post in another forum, discussed the new church website features. One of the things mentioned in that post was that when members sign in to the site, they might be presented with customized content, based on the calling they hold. Perhaps, when a STS signs in, he could be provided with the means to initiate a MLS security reset for units he has responsibility over.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”