Dropped Password

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
ldleiter

Dropped Password

Post by ldleiter »

A brother who had been in the Bishopric and then in other callings requiring MLS Organization access was called back into the Bishopric, so I set his user record back to Finance access. Since then, every time he has tried to log into MLS or to approve tithing, MLS rejects his password.

As a workaround, I have pulled up his user record and let him re-enter his password. He can then go back to the Donations screen and approve the active batch; or I can log off and he can log in. But the next time he tries, a week or two later, MLS again rejects his password and we have to start over.

To the best of my knowledge, only the one user is affected.

Any thoughts?

Larry L
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

ldleiter wrote:As a workaround, I have pulled up his user record and let him re-enter his password. He can then go back to the Donations screen and approve the active batch; or I can log off and he can log in. But the next time he tries, a week or two later, MLS again rejects his password and we have to start over.
[...]
Any thoughts?
1) Is he forgetting his password? Or perhaps forgetting how he had modified an existing one to fit MLS's requirements?

2) The password is case sensitive. If the caps lock was in a different state from when he entered his new password, that would do it.

3) Short of restoring the database, I would not expect MLS to forget anyone's password. You may need to call Local Unit Support some time when you can get him in front of the computer.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

I don't know if this relevant to the problem, but our Bishop who rarely uses MLS, couldn't remember his password when it came to authorise the Tithing transactions recently. Our Clerk, who was doing the Tithing with him, went to the Password option and allowed him to re-enter his password, allowing normal service to resume without any hassle. If I remember correctly it is in the System/Services menu. (Sorry having a brain/memory outage at the moment). Any user who has the necessary privileges can do this.

Hope this helps!
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

Biggles wrote:I don't know if this relevant to the problem, but our Bishop who rarely uses MLS, couldn't remember his password when it came to authorise the Tithing transactions recently. Our Clerk, who was doing the Tithing with him, went to the Password option and allowed him to re-enter his password, allowing normal service to resume without any hassle. If I remember correctly it is in the System/Services menu. (Sorry having a brain/memory outage at the moment). Any user who has the necessary privileges can do this.
Your description is how Idleiter is reseting the password. The logged on user must have administrator rights to do this.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

jdlessley wrote:Your description is how Idleiter is reseting the password. The logged on user must have administrator rights to do this.
That is correct. But if I understand Idleiter correctly, he is saying that the next time the user logs in, the password is not accepted. That is his puzzle.
ldleiter

Post by ldleiter »

lajackson's interpretation is correct. I have administrator rights (and I just gave them to my assistant so he can do the same workaround), and allow the Bishopric member to reset his password each time. And it works that day, but then doesn't work the next week.

In response to RussellHltn's suggestions, he is not forgetting his password; he is using the same password each time. Caps lock is off throughout. My password works fine (approving a tithing batch requires two). Since I often change the keyboard layout, I am careful to make sure that the standard keyboard is set each time.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

As a thought, how about loggin into MLS, changing his password, and then shutting down MLS. See if that sticks.

I'm wondering if there's a bug such that the sequence of events causes the new password to not get written out to disk.

I've got another theory based of defective hardware, but it's a real long shot.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”