Beta Directory Issues

Discussions about the Ward Directory and Map tool on churchofjesuschrist.org.
dobrichelovek

Verification of directory issue.

Post by dobrichelovek »

Since I don't see a discussion on directory issues, I'll just mention here that when we access the beta directory using my wife's account, everything shows up fine. When I access the beta directory using my account, I get no data. I didn't see any items in jira that represented this problem, but I may have missed it. Aside from sending feedback on not seeing the directory, how else can I follow through to make sure this gets the proper exposure? Is it possible that I'm really so unique that I'm the only one? :rolleyes:
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

What happens when you log into LUWS?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
dobrichelovek

Post by dobrichelovek »

Everything in LUWS works fine for me when I log in. It's just the beta directory that doesn't work when I log in with the same account.
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

dobrichelovek wrote:Since I don't see a discussion on directory issues, I'll just mention here that when we access the beta directory using my wife's account, everything shows up fine. When I access the beta directory using my account, I get no data. I didn't see any items in jira that represented this problem, but I may have missed it. Aside from sending feedback on not seeing the directory, how else can I follow through to make sure this gets the proper exposure? Is it possible that I'm really so unique that I'm the only one? :rolleyes:
I suspect that it's the fact that the site is a Beta. I have seen similar problems with the Beta Calendar site - I logon and get no events. After a few re-loads the data finally appears. I would recommend the Feedback link to inform the programmers of the issue. Be as detailed as you can as it helps them pin down the problem.
Have you read the Code of Conduct?
zaneclark

Questions on Beta Directory

Post by zaneclark »

I have just started playing around with the new directory and I'm very excited about some of he features, especially the ability to upload larger photos, and the administrator ability to update profiles of members. I have some questions on this: If I update someones email address, will it show in the current version of the LUWS? Along with that, if I add an email address to a profile of someone who is not registered, will they be included in broadcast emails? I know I can experiment with this and maybe see the results in 48 hours, but thought perhaps someone could answer the questions now...
jdcr256
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jdcr256 »

dobrichelovek wrote:Since I don't see a discussion on directory issues, I'll just mention here that when we access the beta directory using my wife's account, everything shows up fine. When I access the beta directory using my account, I get no data. I didn't see any items in jira that represented this problem, but I may have missed it. Aside from sending feedback on not seeing the directory, how else can I follow through to make sure this gets the proper exposure? Is it possible that I'm really so unique that I'm the only one? :rolleyes:
Are you still seeing this issue? Have you submitted feedback? I've seen two similar complaints in the feedback, and have even managed to duplicate it (sort of) when logging in to some units. But I can't do it consistently enough in our test environment to uncover a cause.

Is your unit a non-English speaking unit? That is where I have seen this before.
MorettiDP

Post by MorettiDP »

My unit (of course ^_^ ) is a not-speaking English, and I have this same problem, but Feedback people tell me international areas can't see any data, still have the site in English.
dobrichelovek

Still no data.

Post by dobrichelovek »

jdcr256 wrote:Are you still seeing this issue? Have you submitted feedback? I've seen two similar complaints in the feedback, and have even managed to duplicate it (sort of) when logging in to some units. But I can't do it consistently enough in our test environment to uncover a cause.

Is your unit a non-English speaking unit? That is where I have seen this before.
I have submitted feedback, and got one response asking for more information, but it wasn't exactly related to the issue. I mentioned (and will mention now) that my default language in my LDS account was Russian when I first started trying the beta. I have since returned it to English, but this didn't correct the problem, which I was still consistently having until I checked just now. :D I believe I checked yesterday and it wasn't working, but I'm sure I checked before submitting the last reply two days ago. Up until now it was consistently not working. Did something change?

So with the test just now, here's what happened:
I logged in from beta.lds.org and then clicked the directory application. To my great surprise, I saw the data there from my ward, which I had never seen with my account before. I then switched over (pressed back on my browser) and clicked on the calendar app to see if my ward clerk had added me to the list of approvers. No such luck.
I then just tried the directory again, and it seems not to work again. For a few (2 or 3) minutes after this attempt, the site seemed down (internal server error), but now it seems like it's up and giving me the same problem as before, where I am getting no data. It was promising for a brief moment, when I saw information from my ward using my own account, but the joy was fleeting.

Now I just see the blank directory formatted screen with search, print, and a hyperlink to https://beta.lds.org/directory/#x if I hover in the right place.

Hope this helps you.

I did verify a few times that this is still a problem, and when I log in under my wife's account it shows up just fine using the same browser.
dobrichelovek

Seems to be fixed.

Post by dobrichelovek »

dobrichelovek wrote: I did verify a few times that this is still a problem, and when I log in under my wife's account it shows up just fine using the same browser.
Okay. Seems to be working now. I even switched my default language back to Russian (still have my location as US) and even though it was blank the first time, I refreshed it and it came back right. I refreshed it again, it was broken, but now it seems stable. So except for this minor inconsistency, I am satisfied that something changed. Thanks.
dobrichelovek

Unfortunately, it broke again.

Post by dobrichelovek »

I should have posted this about three weeks ago, but it's broken again, and I don't understand why.

Just to recap, I go to beta.lds.org, login with my LDS Account, and try the Ward and Stake directory, which shows up for me, under my account, as a screen with a blue background, a white rectangular field, with a gray header, which includes a print button, and the rest of the field divided unequally into three columns with a search field at the top of the middle column. But there is nothing else. No names, no links, no ward name, or anything else.

If I go to traditional LUWS with that same LDS Account, I have no problems seeing everything just fine.

If I go to the Beta Directory site and have my wife login with her account, it works, and everything is visible, just as it should be. I have submitted this, again, as an issue, but I am concerned that it is an issue at all. The only differences between my LDS Account and that of my wife (or the only differences that I can think of) are that I got mine much earlier than she, mine is set (on the LDS Account page) to default to Russian (even though we live in Colorado) and hers in English, and some other, obvious differences, but we are both in the same ward, etc... :D

So, the basic question is, why is her account working and mine not? Or more basic, why is my account not working, when it's not a problem with the unit that I'm in? :confused:

Return to “Ward Directory and Map”