Beta Calendar Multiple Event Display

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
techgy
Community Moderators

Beta Calendar Multiple Event Display

Post by techgy »

After experimenting with the new calendar that's currently in Beta, I must say that I'm very impressed. The developers have done a great job.

One item that I've noticed that will ultimately be a problem is when any given date on the calendar holds multiple events. The calendar doesn't expand enough to display multiple events making a few of the events disappear from view.

It's not uncommon in our stake to have 5 or 6 things going on at a time. Yes, it's possible to use multiple calendars and then choose what you wish to display but what about when all of the events are important to display? Abbreviation of the titles of the events does help some, but even with that it's possible to have some listings not be seen.

The calendar needs to be able to automatically expand the height of the boxes for the days of a week so that any days during that week that have multiple events won't lose information.
Have you read the Code of Conduct?
kisaac
Community Moderators

Display is limited for multiple events

Post by kisaac »

Techgy wrote: One item that I've noticed that will ultimately be a problem is when any given date on the calendar holds multiple events. The calendar doesn't expand enough to display multiple events making a few of the events disappear from view.

The calendar needs to be able to automatically expand the height of the boxes for the days of a week so that any days during that week that have multiple events won't lose information.
Yes, I agree, this is a major limitation. I've already gotten feedback from my bishopric that they can't read all the later sunday meetings I input on a bishopric meeting calendar, and printing out a hard copy doesn't help to see all events. I've discussed that a little, with some other issues, in a "beta calendar wishlist" thread, found here. I think the limit is to display 6 or 7 events in the box, and we easily surpass that on a normal Sunday. There needs to be a way to view/print all events for a busy day.
kisaac wrote:
  1. It is impossible to see later events in a very fully scheduled day in month view, with no scroll ability. In week view, 30 minute events are difficult to read. A "day" view doesn't exist but would help. It may also help if a "mouse over" of an event brought up at least the full event title.
  2. The printed calendar is not detailed enough to be a stand-alone calendar. For example, it probably couldn't be useful in the printed ward newsletter.
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

kisaac wrote:Yes, I agree, this is a major limitation. I've already gotten feedback from my bishopric that they can't read all the later sunday meetings I input on a bishopric meeting calendar, and printing out a hard copy doesn't help to see all events. I've discussed that a little, with some other issues, in a "beta calendar wishlist" thread, found here. I think the limit is to display 6 or 7 events in the box, and we easily surpass that on a normal Sunday. There needs to be a way to view/print all events for a busy day.
Have you reported this issue through the Feedback link on the Beta site?
It helps to print the calendar. Just prior to printing you can reduce the size of the text thus getting more into a box, but it's still possible to over-run the size of the boxes for a given day.
Have you read the Code of Conduct?
kisaac
Community Moderators

display ideas?

Post by kisaac »

Techgy wrote:Have you reported this issue through the Feedback link on the Beta site?
Thanks for the reminder. As you suggest, it is the "feedback" link on the calendar page, and not this forum, that is a communication with the developers. I think we all are excited about the calendar possibilities, and we hope they iron out these kinks during the beta test.
Techgy wrote: It helps to print the calendar. Just prior to printing you can reduce the size of the text thus getting more into a box, but it's still possible to over-run the size of the boxes for a given day.
I fear making expandable boxes may be more than a tweak, and the programmers may not get to fixing it quickly.
I can't get the print small enough for all my sunday events. Further, we currently print the (old, not the beta) LUWS calendar for distribution in ward council, PEC, etc, for those who don't have internet access, and to review in the meeting.

The old LUWS expanded the boxes as you noted, so it printed an understandable calendar showing full titles and the events- it did not "truncate" a long event title, as Google Calendar currently does, and as the new beta calendar also does. This is unfortunate that in our effort to have a more google-like calendar, we may have lost one of the advantages of the old LUWS calendar.

I'll add "don't truncate event titles" to my calendar wishlist!

Return to “Calendar”