Nook Kindle ereader scriptures

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
grlloyd-p40

Nook Kindle ereader scriptures

Post by grlloyd-p40 »

Is there anywhere you can get scriptures that are easy to navigate with a nook or kindle. I currently have a nook and can't easily get to a desired book and chapter. As far as I can tell the nook only allows you to get to one layer of navigation. (ie. 2nd Nephi, Alma) But I need another layer to get to the specific chapters on the book.
matthewmidgley

Post by matthewmidgley »

According to the Nook website it will read pdf files but there are already a few problems with that. First, I don't know how such a device will handle such huge pdf files. Second, I just opened one up and they only have one layer navigation. Depending on how fast the Nook will turn the pages it may be an option. Or even if you could enter a page number.
blakegrover

Post by blakegrover »

We just got a nook also. I haven't tried opening triple or bible pdf version in the nook, I am afraid it will be very slow. But we have tried some books in the epub format and it works very well. I am interested in getting the scriptures in an epub file format. I found a program to convert pdf's to epubs but the pdf version of the scriptures have the footnotes, columns, etc that will not convert properly. If I find anything I'll post back to this thread
ValkyrieAnne-p40

Nook and ereader Scriptures

Post by ValkyrieAnne-p40 »

I am very interested in finding out how well the scriptures work on the Nook. Has anyone tried the ereader scriptures from the church web site on the Nook? Here is a link to that page

http://lds.org/handheld/newarchive/0,18 ... -2,00.html

Specifically, I'm wondering if the Nook is fast enough to keep up when everyone turns to a scripture in gospel doctrine class? I hear the Kindle is too slow.
Wegg-p40

Post by Wegg-p40 »

ValkyrieAnne wrote:I am very interested in finding out how well the scriptures work on the Nook. Has anyone tried the ereader scriptures from the church web site on the Nook? Here is a link to that page

http://lds.org/handheld/newarchive/0,18 ... -2,00.html
I tried loading Conference Oct 2009 and got an error. :-( It appears to ALMOST load it. . . I can see it in the background behind the error message but its obviously doing something that the nook doesn't like. :-(
H2OSKI-p40

Nook Navigation with EPub Gospel Library

Post by H2OSKI-p40 »

I just got a Nook for Fathers Day. I had been scouring B & N looking for a decent set of ebook LDS scriptures to use from there but to no avail. (unless I wanted to use the reformed LDS!) Then just today I found these epub versions here on this site and at least they are the LDS versions!! Grateful for that progress.

I don't want to sound like I am not happy with the new epub versions BUT while they are an improvement as far as content is concerned the navigation speed/flow is still quite poor.

1. They still suffer from effectively a single layer of navigation. You select the BOM and then select "go to" in the Nook navigation and then you have a choice of "page" or "chapter". If you pick chapter then you actually select from the various books ie. 1st, 2nd, 3rd Nephi etc.(not chapters). Then after you have picked a book from the chapter list you can again select "go to" and then "chapter" again. You would think you should be able to select the actual chapter but you can't. You are once again picking from the same books ie. Alma, Moroni etc. NOT chapters.

Once you have selected your book though the chapters are listed on the screen up top. It lists all the chapters of that particular book on the e-ink screen but then if you select the book Alma for example you have to press the down key on the touch screen 63 times to get to chapter 63. The e-ink screens are not fast to begin with. Tedious is an understatement.

As you can imagine after you have finally scrolled to chapter 63, the gospel doctrine class has been there, read it, discussed it, moved on, possibly even had the closing prayer! You get the point.

2. The second area that could be improved is the fact that after you scroll through a page or two so that you are reading say in the middle of a chapter, there is nothing on the page that lets you know whether you are in Alma vs Ether or chapter 24 vs 9 for example. All you can see is the verse number and the text.

I actually found a BOM version on B & N website (reformed LDS I believe) and they listed Book/chapter and then verse # before the text of each verse so you could tell where you were at as you scrolled page by page on the Nook. Uses up some space but you can at least stay oriented to where you are at within the scriptures.

3. The footnotes? Well I suspect that would be a serious challenge to incorporate on the Nook. Seems like the footnotes would have to be listed much like a chapter in order for them to be accessible AND usable. Something like 1 Nephi Ch. 1 Footnotes and then simply list them by verse..or something like that. That way you could at least get to them if you needed to reference them. Either that or put a hotlink to them within the text but navigating to that would prove cumbersome I think.

Sounds like I am not the first to discover some of these navigation issues. Lots of people asking questions and not alot of answers from anyone though which is not too encouraging.

I sincerely hope something can be done.

Challenges aside, I love reading the Scriptures/Gospel Library on the Nook before I go to bed. Very easy to read with just one hand while lying on my side/back in bed with pillows and covers in whatever position. No actual pages or big book to lift around and nice and easy on the eyes for longer periods of reading. As long as you are reading consecutively in a particular book I really love it.

As far as the Nook itself it seems since they lowered the prices on the Nook they were sold out/back ordered for a time--not sure the status at the moment but after I ordered I got an email saying sold out and wait a month but luckily they found some inventory and I got one. They must be selling pretty well which only means more LDS members will be getting them.

I think more and more people will be buying these as you can get one for just $149 now with Wi-Fi and unlimited free AT&T mobile hotspot access across the country. That is a whole lot less than an ipad and even and puny itouch for that matter. Anything Apple is not cheap.

I sure hope someone figures a way to add the additional layer of navigation to truly navigate to the actual chapters from the touchscreen at the bottom of the nook vs. scrolling 1 chapter at time. Very tedious.

That single step might make them usable in Gospel Doctrine class I think.

Anyone out there know if there is anything being done with the Nook?
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

I can't tell, but is the link given earlier in this thread the same ePub version of the Gospel Library as what is being worked on by the volunteer community at the LDSTech Wiki?

https://tech.lds.org/wiki/index.php/Gos ... y_for_ePub
skwid

Post by skwid »

I just downloaded the three items that are available for the ereaders, my next question is when the rest of the scriptures will become available, and if other items such as the hymns and teachers manuals will become available like they are available on the old media format site for hand held devices?
michaeldjensen

LDS Scriptures App now available for NOOK Color

Post by michaeldjensen »

Just an FYI for all the NOOK Color users, LDS Scriptures App is now available and is a fully featured app not just an ebook. The navigation is super easy and all the features like notes, bookmarks, highlights, and tags are available. It's from LDSScriptures.com, the one with the golden plates icon.

Return to “General Discussions”