Discipline forms on MLS?

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
robertdowen

Discipline forms on MLS?

Post by robertdowen »

Today our bishop requested I find a form letter regarding church discipline so we could use it as a starting point for a letter to a member. This would be to inform him of the decision of his disciplinary council, what he could and could not do as a disfellowshipped member, etc.

He thought this would be on the MLS program, but I'm unable to find it. Is there a form letter for this on MLS (or anywere else in church documents online)?

Thanks
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

Robert Owen wrote:Today our bishop requested I find a form letter regarding church discipline so we could use it as a starting point for a letter to a member. This would be to inform him of the decision of his disciplinary council, what he could and could not do as a disfellowshipped member, etc.

He thought this would be on the MLS program, but I'm unable to find it. Is there a form letter for this on MLS (or anywere else in church documents online)?

Thanks
No, there is not a form letter in MLS, because each letter is different. The best place to begin is in the Church Handbook of Instructions on pages 114-15, where it explains what should be in the letter, and then on page 109, which explains the restrictions of a person who is disfellowshipped.

Because the letter will include counsel to help the person come back into full fellowship in the Church, it really cannot be a form letter.

After the bishop has reviewed those pages of the Handbook, if he still has questions, I am sure his stake president would be willing to confer with him, and would probably even review a draft of the letter, if the bishop asked, and especially if the bishop is new to this process.
MorettiDP

Post by MorettiDP »

I believe a form can be interesting for manage discipline cases with no problem. It will be so interesting for us, in international areas, without Church letterhead papers. Some units have made some different letterheads causing confusion and don't correctly represent the Church. A form can have a standard text and a big box to allow the leader to add other informations and considerations. This letter form can be used to call the member for the discipline meetings, inform the member about the council decisions and help members during this phase of his membership life.
greggo

Post by greggo »

MorettiDP wrote:I believe a form can be interesting for manage discipline cases with no problem. It will be so interesting for us, in international areas, without Church letterhead papers.
I'm sure a bishop or stake president outside the US only needs to ask the local church administration office for stationary with official letterhead. This was my experience.
MorettiDP

Post by MorettiDP »

Greggo wrote:I'm sure a bishop or stake president outside the US only needs to ask the local church administration office for stationary with official letterhead. This was my experience.

Sorry, but that's not true in Brazil...
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

MorettiDP wrote:Sorry, but that's not true in Brazil...
I lived in a country where it was very difficult to obtain official Church letterhead. However, when I pointed out to the Area Office that I was required to write letters to the First Presidency on official Church letterhead, they were able to supply it through the distribution center. (See the instructions on the Application to the First Presidency.)

I also noticed that the Area Presidency always sent their letters to us on official Church letterhead. And the mission president always had some, as well.
MorettiDP

Post by MorettiDP »

Yes, but that isn't our way to do the things in Brazil... Temples, missions, stakes and districts, wards and branches create his our letterheads with Church logos without official font, size, etc.

In my viewpoint, be able to print letterhead from MLS, including a general letter for Church disciplines, will help the Church to protect his name and logo. I discussed this things in two or three other forums here in LDS Tech, but the guys told me we can not use Church logo in local units, we can't create Church logos, etc... but in this case (Church discipline letters) of course we have a problem in units where an official stationery isn't available.
robertdowen

Post by robertdowen »

lajackson wrote:No, there is not a form letter in MLS, because each letter is different. The best place to begin is in the Church Handbook of Instructions on pages 114-15, where it explains what should be in the letter, and then on page 109, which explains the restrictions of a person who is disfellowshipped.

Because the letter will include counsel to help the person come back into full fellowship in the Church, it really cannot be a form letter.

After the bishop has reviewed those pages of the Handbook, if he still has questions, I am sure his stake president would be willing to confer with him, and would probably even review a draft of the letter, if the bishop asked, and especially if the bishop is new to this process.

Thank you.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”