Sophos Not Updating

Discussions around the setup, operation, replacement, and disposal of clerk computers, not to include using MLS
techgy
Community Moderators

Sophos Not Updating

Post by techgy »

Did anyone else notice that the new Sophos AV/Firewall package didn't update this past weekend? From what I could tell the updates are coming from an ldschurch.org domain so perhaps something was down over the weekend.
Have you read the Code of Conduct?
danpass

Post by danpass »

Yes. I was setting up some new administrative computers over the weekend. Sophos was able to connect to an update server on Saturday, however on Sunday afternoon I noticed the shield icon in the system tray area had a red x and when I tried to update manually, I got an error message saying that a connection could not be made to the update server.
pete_arnett-p40

Post by pete_arnett-p40 »

Sophos is not working for our unit on Mon 14:08hours, 15Feb2010
:cool: Your Fellow Servant,
Porter (Pete) Lee Arnett Jr.
USA
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

pete_arnett wrote:Sophos is not working for our unit on Mon 14:08hours, 15Feb2010
Are you trying to say that Sophos isn't working at all? Or are you confirming the fact that it's not updating? There's a BIG difference.
pete_arnett-p40

Post by pete_arnett-p40 »

It appears that the Sophos sever is not responding to the local desktop

Sophos on the local desktop is working
:cool: Your Fellow Servant,
Porter (Pete) Lee Arnett Jr.
USA
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

Techgy wrote:Did anyone else notice that the new Sophos AV/Firewall package didn't update this past weekend? From what I could tell the updates are coming from an ldschurch.org domain so perhaps something was down over the weekend.
Response from tech support:
Thank you for the information, we have been informed that the sophos update server was experiencing some issues over the weekend but should now be back online.
freedom55

Post by freedom55 »

I was just over at the church doing some work. When the computer first booted up, Sophos failed to update. When I finished, about an hour ago, I tried another update and it went through sucessfully. So, it seems to be back online now.
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

I noticed Sunday all the computers that currently had Sophos installed had a little red "X" on the shield. However, I finally installed Sophos on the last computer yesterday and it did it's initial update without any problems. When I rebooted, however, the red x showed up on that one as well. However, since after the load it was able to update, I'm not too worried about it.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

I have noted that Sophos will try to check for updates within the first few seconds after loggin on. If it cannot connect to the server it will stop checking and change the system tray icon to the one with the red X. Waiting for a few minutes and then having Sophos check for updates by right clicking on the system tray icon and selecting "Update now". This usually works for our situation where the initial update does not connect to the server.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
calebpusey

Post by calebpusey »

It was reported that the Sophos update process was down this last Sunday. However, everything now should be working.
Caleb

Return to “Clerk Computers”