Report of Spanish Speakers in English Speaking Ward

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
azimbelman

Report of Spanish Speakers in English Speaking Ward

Post by azimbelman »

I have been asked to print a report of Spanish speakers in the ward. I am a new ward clerk and I am not exactly sure how to go about producing this report. So far my best guess is to create a custom report of all returned missionaries that includes the mission where they served (which could be used to determine who speaks Spanish). Any other ideas on how I can get such a report?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

aaronz wrote:I have been asked to print a report of Spanish speakers in the ward. I am a new ward clerk and I am not exactly sure how to go about producing this report. So far my best guess is to create a custom report of all returned missionaries that includes the mission where they served (which could be used to determine who speaks Spanish). Any other ideas on how I can get such a report?
Rather than the mission, you should use the field "Mission Language". After all, there are missionaries called to the New York New York Mission speaking Spanish, so the mission itself doesn't tell you the language.

So just create a custom report with one criterion: "Mission Language - is - Spanish".

Of course, there will likely be other members who speak Spanish who didn't happen to serve a Spanish-speaking mission. But MLS won't have any information about them -- unless someone does a survey of the members and creates a Custom Field for "Language spoken".
azimbelman

Thanks

Post by azimbelman »

Thanks for the quick response--I guess I missed that field. It was also good to find out that MLS doesn't have a "native language" or "second language" field unless the ward adds it.
rrketcheson

Alternative way to track languages

Post by rrketcheson »

The customer member fields can also be used to track foreign language.

Create a new field by selecting:

[INDENT]MLS>System Options>Members>Custom Fields>Add
and setting the value type to "string"[/INDENT]

You may then run a custom report based on this value. This field will need to be collected and entered manually.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”