Spouse Changes in MLS

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
kalnius

Spouse Changes in MLS

Post by kalnius »

We had a recent convert baptism for a male adult. I received the records from SLC into MLS recently. Apparently, his current spouse information was not entered correctly by the mission when they submitted it to HQ.

Her maiden name is mis-spelled and it indicates that she is a member with a member record number - however, this is not accurate, as it was thought she was a member (may have been baptized as a teen), but 3 attempts to get her record under 3 different names all prompted a message from HQ that there was no member record. These attempts were done prior to HIS baptism.

I tried to edit the spouse info in MLS, but is won't let me access it - greyed out.

I need to correct her maiden name spelling and indicate that she is not a member. I'm confused about her turning up with a record number now - especially with an incorrect maiden name (a complilation of her married name and maiden name).

Wht do I do?
BKO
Stake Executive Secretary
mfmohlma

Post by mfmohlma »

You could send an MLS message, but with this kind of a situation it sounds like it would just be easier to call clerk support and explain what's going on.
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

If you can't access it to edit the info, then it sounds like you will need to send a special request. From the menu bar, select Membership > Records > Special Requests
Be sure to explain the problem in detail.
greggo

Post by greggo »

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but unless it's changed in the past couple years or so, when non-member family members are added to a member's record, they are assigned an ID number that is indistinguishable from a regular MRN. This is probably the case for the non-member spouse.

Several times in the past I've tried to request records for people who were thought to be members using their "MRN" recorded on a family member's record (even one who had a confirmation date recorded) only to have CHQ reply that their records were never created.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

Greggo wrote:Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but unless it's changed in the past couple years or so, when non-member family members are added to a member's record, they are assigned an ID number that is indistinguishable from a regular MRN.

This is correct. Somehow, CHQ can tell the difference, but it is not readily apparent to the casual observer, or even a membership clerk. [grin]
falveym

Post by falveym »

Most of the time a non-member that has a membership number, part of the number will be the Unit's ID number that created the record.
alan.richardson

Post by alan.richardson »

I believe that (the member number with the unit number embedded) is called a "temporary" record number, rather than a non-member's record number.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

falveym wrote:Most of the time a non-member that has a membership number, part of the number will be the Unit's ID number that created the record.
There are two distinct types of record numbers for nonmembers:
kalnius

Post by kalnius »

Thanks for all tjhe help on this guys. I sent a sepcial request to CHQ through MLS. - Ozzy
BKO
Stake Executive Secretary

Return to “Membership Help”