Convert spouse not listed in household

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
iamdavid

Convert spouse not listed in household

Post by iamdavid »

[Alan_Brown: This post and the responses were originally in the thread Duplicate heads of household in MLS, but since this issue is actually different, I moved these posts to a separate thread.]

I have a somewhat similar problem I noticed while recording HT Visits. One Household is listed as only the Husband.

The background I know. The Husband married a non-member and subsequently baptised her. Recently, as I was unable, no matter what, to sort out the record duplication on his spouse, I had headquarters fix it for me.
But now I am looking at a situation where, for HT purposes, his Spouse has dissappeared.

It seems this kind of problem is probably created by Clerks who fail to accurately attend to the details when managing membership and relationship changes of status. In this case, instead of the Existing Spouse being Baptised and made a Member, a whole new record was created and an element of 'clash' was set up that I could not resolve locally.

I plan to fiddle tonight, now that the duplicate record for the wife has been removed and see if I can get things so the Household is listed as Him and Her. The old story, 'MLS is good but no better than its weakest link - US the clerks'.

Due to my inability to sort out the 'duplication', which I thought would have been a snap, I am now not really confident that sorting the Household tag will be any easier. I'll get back.

WenU
RossEvans

Post by RossEvans »

WenU wrote:The old story, 'MLS is good but no better than its weakest link - US the clerks'.

I don't want to defend sloppy clerking, but it seems to me that proper software would not allow the creation of duplicate head-of-household or spouse records. That deficiency is presumptively a bug.
iamdavid

Post by iamdavid »

Well anyway, I was unable to solve the problem at the chapel.
Each spouse is correctly shown as married to the other. Wedding details are synchronised and everything is fine.
But in Home Teaching he comes up without a spouse.
In csv data she comes up as: Female; Other; Desig (3) which means child etc., as (2) means spouse.

I plan to pass this to MSR in the morning and see if they can pull the Household and reconstitute it correctly. That's something that cannot be done at Unit level, I believe, because of the dual-layer aspect of the database, meaning I would have to delete their membership records via SLC and recreate them using the same Membership IDs. (I pass)

WenU
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

WenU wrote:Well anyway, I was unable to solve the problem at the chapel.
Each spouse is correctly shown as married to the other. Wedding details are synchronised and everything is fine.
But in Home Teaching he comes up without a spouse.
In csv data she comes up as: Female; Other; Desig (3) which means child etc., as (2) means spouse.

I plan to pass this to MSR in the morning and see if they can pull the Household and reconstitute it correctly. That's something that cannot be done at Unit level, I believe, because of the dual-layer aspect of the database, meaning I would have to delete their membership records via SLC and recreate them using the same Membership IDs. (I pass)
There are two quite separate issues at play here: Having the spouses married to each other is a reflection of information on their individual records in the Current Spouse area. But that has nothing to do with the Household organization, which is the key information that affects Home Teaching, ward lists, etc.

Clearly the problem you see in HT is caused by the fact that there is no spouse in the household; the wife has a household position of Other, not Spouse. So that is what has to be fixed.

There is one thing you might try. It worked for me on the test database, and seems like it would have low impact.
  1. Go to the Household record for the family
  2. By the wife's name, click the Remove link. For the destination, make a new household (don't worry about any details on this new household, since it won't exist for long).
  3. Close the new household record and Save your changes.
  4. From the husband's household record, click Add Member
  5. Select the wife from the list of members.
  6. MLS will detect that she is the spouse and initiate the process of adding a spouse to the household.
  7. Close the Add Spouse to Household screen and Save your changes.
  8. The wife should now be listed in the Spouse position.
RossEvans

Post by RossEvans »

The details of WenU's problem actually do not match the bug I was reporting from other incidents. As I now understand his case, there are not duplicate spouses with a "HH Order" = 2 in the CSV file, but the person who is a spouse is erroroneously listed with "HH Order" = 3.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

boomerbubba wrote:The details of WenU's problem actually do not match the bug I was reporting from other incidents. As I now understand his case, there are not duplicate spouses with a "HH Order" = 2 in the CSV file, but the person who is a spouse is erroneously listed with "HH Order" = 3.
I figured that was the case, but didn't move the posts on that topic from the original thread (Duplicate heads of household in MLS) until today. Thanks for helping keep the issues straight.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”