We used the last deposit slip today

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
psnarula

We used the last deposit slip today

Post by psnarula »

The subject pretty much says it all. We used the last deposit slip today. The bishop says he thinks he got an email saying that more were on order. But we have not received anything and that would have been some time ago.

The financial clerk is out of town for a month. I am the ward clerk so this has become my responsibility. I have two questions:

1. How do I order more deposit slips and/or check on the status of an existing order?

2. What happens next week when we don't have any deposit slips? Mail to my APO box in Germany could take several weeks unless it is shipped via Priority Mail. Then it might take a week. The church has never shipped anything from ldscatalog.com via Priority Mail (they always use Parcel Post). Can we get these from the German distribution center that is located at the Frankfurt Temple?
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

psnarula wrote:The subject pretty much says it all. We used the last deposit slip today. The bishop says he thinks he got an email saying that more were on order.
If you were in the US, I would tell you to call the Finance Department on Monday. You may have to settle for an MLS message to Finance. Send it ASAP. Or spend the money for the phone call.

Do you deposit to an American/Military Bank? If so, your deposit slips come from Church Headquarters, and that is who you will need to contact.

You may have to hold the envelopes a week while you wait for the new deposit slips to arrive.
psnarula

Post by psnarula »

Deposits (in dollars) are mailed to SLC (15th Floor, 50 East North Temple Street, Salt Lake City, UT 84150). So almost certainly this is going to a US bank. When members pay with cash, coins, or in Euros, one of the two people doing tithing that day has to write a check for that amount of money (using an appropriate exchange rate to convert Euro to dollars). Then the person takes the cash and the check goes in the mail. It usually takes several weeks for checks to clear.

CDOL says that the primary currency for my unit is Euros but this is not true. We have only a handful of people that pay tithing in Euro. The overwhelming majority (>90%) pay in dollars.

I pay an extra 3 or 4 Euros per month on my phone plan to get unlimited calling to the States at no extra charge. What number do I call to talk so somebody about this?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

psnarula wrote:Deposits (in dollars) are mailed to SLC (15th Floor, 50 East North Temple Street, Salt Lake City, UT 84150). So almost certainly this is going to a US bank. When members pay with cash, coins, or in Euros, one of the two people doing tithing that day has to write a check for that amount of money (using an appropriate exchange rate to convert Euro to dollars). Then the person takes the cash and the check goes in the mail. It usually takes several weeks for checks to clear.

CDOL says that the primary currency for my unit is Euros but this is not true. We have only a handful of people that pay tithing in Euro. The overwhelming majority (>90%) pay in dollars.

I pay an extra 3 or 4 Euros per month on my phone plan to get unlimited calling to the States at no extra charge. What number do I call to talk so somebody about this?
Just start with Local Unit Support (that wiki link has the phone numbers).
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

psnarula wrote:Deposits (in dollars) are mailed to SLC (15th Floor, 50 East North Temple Street, Salt Lake City, UT 84150).
Since you are mailing the deposit to SLC, copy an old deposit slip and use it for now. CHQ will get it straight. Make sure the unit number is clear.

The number is (US) 801.240.3500
kh_design

Deposit slips are printed with MICR ink

Post by kh_design »

I suggest not to copy an old deposit slip, because Deposit slips are printed with MICR ink (a magnetic ink).

Simple copied deposit slips without the MICR ink can result in a complete loss of the deposit. It is true, I have seen it my self, years ago when I was a Stake Finance Clerk I investigated a lost deposit from one of the Ward units. In my investigation I discovered the Ward Clerk had photocopied an old deposit slip, it was because the photocopied slip did not have the MICR printed characters and the deposit reading machine had a 'can't read' error resulting in the whole deposit being lost. None of the donor's checks ever cleared their banks, the whole deposit was completely lost.

You might think that CHQ will just get it straight, you must consider how many donation deposits are received and to process the donation deposits efficiently they depend very much on automated systems that can read MICR.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”