* 22" flat panel monitor
* 2 GB RAM
* Ultra small form factor
* 160GB hard drive
* Windows XP Professional SP3
drepouille

New FHC computers -- wow!

Post by drepouille »

I just unboxed one of the new FHC computers last night. The Optiplex 780 is a "shoebox" computer, less than a foot square, but it is packed. The 24-inch LCD screen is much larger than the computer. In fact, the stand that holds the screen also holds the computer behind the screen, so you can't even see the computer when you are using it.
Dana.Repouille wrote:Here is what the FHCs are receiving right now:

* Dell Optiplex 780
* 8X DVD-CDRW Combo Drive
* Intel Core 2 Duo
* 22" flat panel monitor
* 2 GB RAM
* 160GB hard drive
aprayzr

Ultra Small Form Factor Can Overheat!

Post by aprayzr »

My son is a Dell warranty repairman. He says the ultra small form factor models work great, as long as they remain well ventilated. Make sure they are placed away from the wall and other equipment so they can breath. Otherwise, they will overheat and fry the mobo.

They are so small, people are putting them in corners and such, just because they can, but this will cause them to overheat.

They are also sturdy enough to place the monitor on top of the unit and this works OK without overheating, but may place the monitor too high in some instances.
pete_arnett-p40

Dell warranty and No Floppy Drive

Post by pete_arnett-p40 »

The new Dell 780's have been ordered with three (3) year warranty
with Next Business Day Support
End Date: 1/19/2013

Also, no Floppy Drive
:cool: Your Fellow Servant,
Porter (Pete) Lee Arnett Jr.
USA
pete_arnett-p40

Windows XP SP 3 and System Restore

Post by pete_arnett-p40 »

The Dell 780 ships with Microsoft Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3

If you use Microsoft System Restore, it is turned off on the shipped image

You will need to order desktop 5.9 DVD and reimage the desktop

Document Links:

WinXP SP3 Desktop 5.9 DVD Available - Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) and Order Formhttps://help.familysearch.org/publishin ... pport.html
:cool: Your Fellow Servant,
Porter (Pete) Lee Arnett Jr.
USA
drepouille

Usff

Post by drepouille »

As far as I can tell, Desktop 5.9 is installed onto these new USFF computers, and the Restore DVD in the box is also Desktop 5.9.

As far as ventilation goes, isn't it weird that the computer is enclosed in a plastic box that has a cover on the BACK of the computer to cover up all the wires? Sure, the cover is perforated, but that cover must reduce the heat exhaust. I'm tempted to just leave the cover off the back of the computer so it can breath more easily.

Dana in Omaha
aprayzr

Heat inducing Cover?

Post by aprayzr »

Dana.Repouille wrote:As far as I can tell, Desktop 5.9 is installed onto these new USFF computers, and the Restore DVD in the box is also Desktop 5.9.

As far as ventilation goes, isn't it weird that the computer is enclosed in a plastic box that has a cover on the BACK of the computer to cover up all the wires? Sure, the cover is perforated, but that cover must reduce the heat exhaust. I'm tempted to just leave the cover off the back of the computer so it can breath more easily.

Dana in Omaha
You shouldn't have to remove the cover as long as there is plenty of ventilation otherwise. If you do notice excessive heat build-up, then removing the cover may help, but moving the unit or other things around the unit will probably be better.

I am not saying these are bad computers that will go thermonuclear! Just be mindful of the setting in which they are placed. They are packed tight inside to make them small, but this leaves less room for air flow, so placement ventilation is important.

Here is an example of poor placement:
A local office purchased one of these ultra small form factor boxes because it would fit in a smaller space, in the corner of a desk in the corner of a room. Due to lack of proper ventilation, I believe the mobo has been replaced twice. And they still put it in the same place, because that is why they bought it - to fit right there! Just because it will fit "right there" does not mean it should be put "right there."
drepouille

Air flow

Post by drepouille »

aprayzr wrote:They are packed tight inside to make them small, but this leaves less room for air flow, so placement ventilation is important.

It is true that there is very little air space inside the computer, but I think that is actually a good thing. The CPU fan and the power supply fan work together to pull air through the box. Limited internal area actually helps to direct the air flow where it needs to go.

Dana
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

Dana.Repouille wrote:Here is what the FHCs are receiving right now:

* Dell Optiplex 780
* 8X DVD-CDRW Combo Drive
* Intel Core 2 Duo
* 22" flat panel monitor
* 2 GB RAM
* 160GB hard drive
I ran CPU-Z and thought others might find the CPU specifications informative.

CPU Specs:
Intel Core 2 Duo E7500
Code Name Wofdale
Package: Socket 775 LGA
Technology: 45 nm Core VID: 1.288 V
Specification: Intel Core Duo CPU E7500 @2.93GHz
Family 6 Model 7 Stepping A
Ext. Family 6 Ext Model 17 Revision RO
Instructions MMX, SSE(1, 2, 3, 3S, 4.1), EM64T, VT-x
Clocks (Core #0)
Core Speed 1596.1 MHz
Multiplier x 6.0
Bus Speed 266.0 MHz
Rated FSB 1064.0 MHz
Cache:
L1 Data 2 x 32 KBytes 8-way
L1 Inst. 2 x 32 KBytes 8-way
Level 2 3072 KBytes 12-way

The specs that caught my attention were the 3GBs of level 2 cache and 1MHz rated frontside bus speed.

It is unfortunate that there is no software we currently run on the computer that can take advantage of the dual core processor.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

jdlessley wrote:The specs that caught my attention were the 3GBs of level 2 cache and 1MHz rated frontside bus speed.
I think you're up past your bedtime. :p:D

I may have to look up the going price. It's time to update the home machine.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Family History Centers”