Digital Line Detect

Discussions around the setup, operation, replacement, and disposal of clerk computers, not to include using MLS
drepouille

Digital Line Detect

Post by drepouille »

I don't see an existing thread about Digital Line Detect.

Our new computers will have access to both Ethernet and dial-up (as a backup if the Ethernet connection fails).

Should I uninstall Digital Line Detect?

Thanks,
Dana
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

Dana.Repouille wrote:I don't see an existing thread about Digital Line Detect.

Our new computers will have access to both Ethernet and dial-up (as a backup if the Ethernet connection fails).

Should I uninstall Digital Line Detect?
The setup for Dell 740 administrative computers instructs you to remove Digital Line Detect through the Add or Remove Programs applet. No reason is provided, but I presume it is just unnecessary and could conflict with Afaria, the application that handles MLS communications.

You can find the Dell 740 instructions at mls.lds.org. This requires a username and password that your STS should have. If you are the STS and do not have it, contact clerk support and they will instruct you.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
drepouille

DLD

Post by drepouille »

Yes, that is why I asked the question.

"If you are using a dial-up connection through a modem, check for and Remove Digital: Line Detect"

IF? I believe ALL admin computers should be configured to use a dial-up connection for MLS if the broadband connection fails. So I don't understand the IF in the instructions.

Maybe I'm just a looney on this one.
IF is a really big word.

Dana
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

Dana.Repouille wrote:IF? I believe ALL admin computers should be configured to use a dial-up connection for MLS if the broadband connection fails. So I don't understand the IF in the instructions.
I agree with your recommendation to always configure dial-up as a backup in case there are problems with a broadband connection. But the fact remains that this is only a recommendation, and it is possible, and within policy, to configure a system to have MLS use only the Internet connection for its transmissions.

So the "IF" is reasonable. If you are configuring a system to use dial-up, even as a backup, then you should uninstall Digital Line Detect.
drepouille

DLD

Post by drepouille »

I will uninstall it.

This is an interesting note:
"Detects whether you are plugged into a digital telephone line and displays the information graphically. Installed by Dell (and maybe others) and is included with all Connexant V.92 and Broadcom modems"
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/startup ... -1287.html

We do have some DSL lines around the stake, but I don't believe those are digital telephone lines, are they? I know you should never plug an analog modem into a digital phone line.

Dana
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

Dana.Repouille wrote:We do have some DSL lines around the stake, but I don't believe those are digital telephone lines, are they?
The lines are digital for the broadband (higher frequency band) usage of the line. An analog telephone connected to the line should be run through a DSL filter to use the lower frequency band. The modems on the computers are using the lower analog frequency band to transmit and receive, but only if connected to the DSL service line. It is most likely the administrative computer modems are not connected to the DSL lines if the units are following Church policy for broadband DSL service agreements.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Dana.Repouille wrote:We do have some DSL lines around the stake, but I don't believe those are digital telephone lines, are they? I know you should never plug an analog modem into a digital phone line.
Digital phone lines are something different then DSL. I don't think you're likely to see one unless you are behind a PBX. It's possible there's one in our Institute building.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aetaber-p40

Digital phone line behind PBX vs. analog modem

Post by aetaber-p40 »

I hope this doesn't veer too far off the topic of this thread. I have a branch in a rented building with a PBX. When we plugged an analog phone into the line, there was no dialtone, but we can make phone calls on the line with a digital phone. Questions:
1) In order to use MLS on that line, will plugging in a DSL filter work?
2) Is there a different setting in the dialup system that will allow us to use that line?
3) Or are we out of luck? (i.e. will have to install a second analog line?)

Alan Taber
Stake Communications Director
Cherry Hill New Jersey Stake
609-969-0871 (cell)
aetaber at verizon.net
kd7mha

Post by kd7mha »

aetaber wrote:I hope this doesn't veer too far off the topic of this thread. I have a branch in a rented building with a PBX. When we plugged an analog phone into the line, there was no dialtone, but we can make phone calls on the line with a digital phone. Questions:
2) Is there a different setting in the dialup system that will allow us to use that line?

Alan Taber
Stake Communications Director
Cherry Hill New Jersey Stake
609-969-0871 (cell)
aetaber at verizon.net
Many years ago I used an adapter that plugged inline with the handset that was used for a similar purpose.
There are 11 types of people. Those who understand Gray Code and those that don't.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

aetaber wrote:I have a branch in a rented building with a PBX. When we plugged an analog phone into the line, there was no dialtone, but we can make phone calls on the line with a digital phone. Questions:

Alan Taber
Because the digital phone worked, it sounds as if the PBX is digital. However, analog business and home systems are wired differently and are usually not compatible. So, that is a possibility.

You might want to confirm that you are on a digital system. The following applies if the PBX is digital.

1) Plugging in a DSL filter will not work. DSL usually runs on analog phone lines.

Find out if your computer modem will work on a digital phone line. Look at Dana's post earlier in this thread, check out the link, and see if it provides information. I do not know if the modems provided with the Church computers will work on digital phone lines. The help desk may know, but a Google search would probably be just as effective.

2) MLS does not have a setting for analog/digital phone line. If the modem is capable, there should be some software on the computer itself that will allow it to switch to digital.

3) If your modem can be configured for a digital line, you are fine. If not, a one-time purchase of a digital modem for the computer might be cheaper than installing a stand-alone analog phone line, although I do not know how much they cost. I expect a digital modem is more expensive than an analog modem.

Return to “Clerk Computers”