"Certificate Error" while transmitting

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
aebrown
Community Administrator

"Certificate Error" while transmitting

Post by aebrown »

I haven't had a chance to research it personally yet, but one of the ward clerks in my stake just told me that when he tried to do a Send/Receive, he got an error message that said the usual "Contact your stake clerk if you are unable to transmit...." But the actual error message is one I've never seen before:
Error: 3 "Certificate Error"
Has anyone ever seen that one? Any ideas what is causing it? Fortunately Local Unit Support has extended hours tonight, so if it's a sticky issue, I'll give them a call.

My first guess is that the security certificate on the server that handles MLS transmissions has expired or has some other issue. If that were the case, I would think that everyone would have the same problem.
rontilby

beta-maps.lds.org getting cert error also

Post by rontilby »

beta-maps.lds.org uses an invalid security certificate.

The certificate is not trusted because the issuer certificate is unknown.

(Error code: sec_error_unknown_issuer)

However https://secure.lds.org is still ok.
aclawson

Post by aclawson »

One of the local clerks just reported the same message here in Michigan.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

The clerk who originally reported the certificate error to me said that he just tried again (a bit over two hours later), and MLS transmission works fine.

And beta-maps.lds.org also works fine now. If it really was a certificate error, then it appears that someone hurried and fixed it. That's good news.
MorettiDP

Post by MorettiDP »

Someone told me that certificate erros is when MLS connection don't find the security server in the first stops of the backbone. Before send the transmission to a records server, all conections need to be validated by a security server to certify that computer is a Church valid computer with a verifyed version of MLS.
kisaac
Community Moderators

certificate error message at end of MLS session.

Post by kisaac »

Alan_Brown wrote:I haven't had a chance to research it personally yet, but one of the ward clerks in my stake just told me that when he tried to do a Send/Receive, he got an error message that said the usual "Contact your stake clerk if you are unable to transmit...." But the actual error message is one I've never seen before:

Has anyone ever seen that one?

Yes it happened to me, exactly as you describe, with the message "certificate error" just as you noted. I updated, without problems, as i first logged on. I printed some memberships received. Then I made some membership changes for 40 minutes or so, then attempted a "send/receive," and the the error occurred. repeated attempts, including a log out and a log back in and a reboot did not correct the issue. I'm not sure if it is resolved now or not.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

kisaac wrote:Yes it happened to me, exactly as you describe, with the message "certificate error" just as you noted. I updated, without problems, as i first logged on. I printed some memberships received. Then I made some membership changes for 40 minutes or so, then attempted a "send/receive," and the the error occurred. repeated attempts, including a log out and a log back in and a reboot did not correct the issue. I'm not sure if it is resolved now or not.
I'm curious when it was that you had this experience. All the other reports on this thread seemed to have been sometime in the afternoon/evening of Tuesday, January 26, 2010. Did your experience happen around that same date/time? If so, that would seem to indicate that the problem was a temporary problem with a server that was subsequently fixed. If not, then perhaps it is a less predictable problem that still may happen at various times.
kisaac
Community Moderators

Post by kisaac »

Alan_Brown wrote:I'm curious when it was that you had this experience. All the other reports on this thread seemed to have been sometime in the afternoon/evening of Tuesday, January 26, 2010. Did your experience happen around that same date/time?
Yes, Tuesday Jan 26, 2010, afternoon, but unsure of the time.
crisa

Certificate Issue while transmitting

Post by crisa »

We had this problem on Tuesday night at about 7pm ET. I was training a new clerk and had the luxury of leaving the send/receive and going over other things. While we were wrapping up training between 8:30 & 9pm, we were able to transmit successfully.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

crisa wrote:We had this problem on Tuesday night at about 7pm ET. I was training a new clerk and had the luxury of leaving the send/receive and going over other things. While we were wrapping up training between 8:30 & 9pm, we were able to transmit successfully.
Thanks for all the details. I think it's pretty safe to conclude that it was a temporary outage, lasting from roughly 4:00pm to 6:00pm MST. It appears that everyone who has tried again to transmit after that time has been able to transmit successfully, so I think we can assume it was a one-time problem, and the root cause has been addressed.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”