CDOL context help

Discussions about the Leader and Clerk Resources on lds.org.
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

CDOL context help

Post by jonesrk »

In looking for ways to provide better context help for CDOL, we are considering using the wiki as targets for each help page.

As an example we would have the following pages in the wiki

Help:CDOL Context Help:Organization Summary
Help:CDOL Context Help:Organization Search Results
Help:CDOL Context Help:Home
Help:CDOL Context Help:Postion Search Results
Help:CDOL Context Help:Position Summary
Help:CDOL Context Help:Advanced Search

Within the application we already have each page named for usage tracking so getting a help link to map to these help pages would be relatively straightforward. It would mean having redirect pages for things like

Help:CDOL Context Help:Org:Summary:Main
Help:CDOL Context Help:Org:Summary:Expand:General
Help:CDOL Context Help:Search:Results:Org
Help:CDOL Context Help:Home
Help:CDOL Context Help:Search:Results:Position
Help:CDOL Context Help:Position:Summary
Help:CDOL Context Help:Search:Advanced:Inputs

I would like to get peoples thoughts on this. The main things I have thought about are
  1. Will it be too much clutter in the wiki?
  2. Are there better ways to structure this?
  3. Are there other/better tools for this?
  4. I like the idea of the community being able to add tips/workarounds/etc
  5. Would it be wise to include language in the page name? or is there a better way to handle this?
  6. The one other note is that there are a lot of other pages that most of the ecclesiastical users don’t see around editing/admin/boundary change proposals would those be appropriate here?
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

ryan jones wrote:The one other note is that there are a lot of other pages that most of the ecclesiastical users don’t see around editing/admin/boundary change proposals would those be appropriate here?
That would be my thought. Are there things about the CDOL to which you would not wish the general public to have access? Currently, only those with authorized access to the CDOL get to the help pages.

A lot can be gleaned from help pages, even if actual access to the site is not authorized.

Just a thought.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

In addition to the public access to the help pages, do you want to have them open to public/community editing? If not, then perhaps the Wiki isn't' the best route.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

RussellHltn wrote:In addition to the public access to the help pages, do you want to have them open to public/community editing? If not, then perhaps the Wiki isn't' the best route.
At this point since we don't have any help pages having the public editing them is one way to have those pages developed.

I also think they would tend to develop around the areas people have difficulties.

Return to “Leader and Clerk Resources”