Church handbook of instructions

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
fishalot-p40

Church handbook of instructions

Post by fishalot-p40 »

Does anyone have the list as to who should have a copy of the Church handbook of instructions? :)
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I believe that's part of the handbook itself.

I assume you're talking about Book 1. Book 2 has many subparts that get handed to various leaders.

From memory, there are 4 copies. One each for the Bishop, First Councilor, Second Counselor and one shared between the Clerk and Executive Secretary.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

fishalot wrote:Does anyone have the list as to who should have a copy of the Church handbook of instructions? :)
You also can find helpful information in this thread: Church Handbook of Instruction.
kennethjorgensen
Community Moderators

Post by kennethjorgensen »

fishalot wrote:Does anyone have the list as to who should have a copy of the Church handbook of instructions? :)
I believe it is 4 copies for a Ward and 3 copies for a Branch.

It does not say who are to be given the copies so take the opinions expressed in the quoted thread with some caution.

Consult with your local priesthood leaders if in doubt.
lorraine1950

Post by lorraine1950 »

Book 1, page xiii, indicates that four copies are to go to the Bishopric: Bishop, Counselor, Counselor and Clerk. In book 2, similar location at front, it has a list of who in the Ward organization gets what book, or chapter of it.
Hope that helps.
JamesAnderson

Post by JamesAnderson »

I served as executive secretary, so I'm thinking that the ward clerk sees Book 1, as I never saw it save for me and the bishop discussing an item in it once or twice.

As for book 2, there's a page in the full version that says who gets the full version and who gets sections. In each separate printed section it tells who gets copies of that section, as well as has a full list of printed sections. For example, in Section 9 of Book 2, it tells who gets that section. All of this is in the 'Introduction' page behind the title page of each section that is printed separately.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

E&LDow wrote:Book 1, page xiii, indicates that four copies are to go to the Bishopric: Bishop, Counselor, Counselor and Clerk.
You are correct that Book 1, page xiii says four copies go to the bishopric, but the page does not say who gets the four copies. In most cases with which I am familiar, the bishop and his two counselors got three of the copies, and the clerk and executive secretary shared the fourth.

In one bishopric I know, the bishop, clerk, and executive secretary each got a copy, and the two counselors shared the last copy.

But, the handbook simply says Bishopric (4 copies).
kwankwan

Church Handbook Of Instructions

Post by kwankwan »

I have heard that both Book 1 and Book 2 are available on-line to those authorized to read them. Can anyone pinpoint the location of the on-line versions?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

kwankwan wrote:I have heard that both Book 1 and Book 2 are available on-line to those authorized to read them. Can anyone pinpoint the location of the on-line versions?
Handbook 2 is available to anyone. The easiest way to find it is to go to lds.org, then under the Menu find Serving in the Church. There's a link on the left side to Handbook 2. Or follow this link: Handbook 2.

If you are authorized to see Handbook 1 and you are signed in to lds.org with your LDS Account, then when you are viewing Handbook 2, you'll see a link to Handbook 1. Or you can go to your leader tools by going to Tools > Leader and Clerk Resources or to http://lds.org/leader; from the leader tools you'll see ways to access Handbook 1.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.

Return to “General Discussions”