Sophos and wireless network

Discussions around the setup, operation, replacement, and disposal of clerk computers, not to include using MLS
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Sophos and wireless network

Post by jdlessley »

Today I noticed another issue with Sophos - or rather the Sophos updater. I had installed the new security software more than a week ago on one ward's computer. I checked to see if the IDE's and the program had been updated. They had not.

The computer is connected to the internet over the building's wireless network. That creates the problem. When the computer boots up the wireless network takes a bit longer to get an IP address and open an internet connection than the Sophos updater takes to load and check for updates. Since the updater cannot connect to the server the updates are not downloaded and it waits 120 minutes to the next check for updates. The ward does not leave the computer on for that long and therefore Sophos does not get updated.

Sophos can be updated manually and that is what I did for this particular computer. But that is a work-around for an issue that may be corrected. I can see three possible solutions for computers connected wirelessly to the internet. The first is a delay after the computer boots before the updater checks the server for updates. For the computer I checked, a delay of 30 to 60 seconds may be adequate. The second is for the updater to continue checking for an internet connection a bit longer before timing out. The third is to shorten the 120 minute time to something shorter - say 90 minutes.

I can see problems for some people for all three solutions I suggested. But for now I have to instruct those units with wireless connections to manually start the update process.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Interesting. On dial-up units the updater will jump on a dial-up connection as soon as it's established. I can only guess that in your case Sophos is seeing the connection but it's not ready for traffic. I wonder why the delay.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

RussellHltn wrote:Interesting. On dial-up units the updater will jump on a dial-up connection as soon as it's established. I can only guess that in your case Sophos is seeing the connection but it's not ready for traffic. I wonder why the delay.
The delay appears to be because of the nature of the connection. While the wireless card recognizes the WAP the signal is at the lowest strength to maintain a connection. In any case the connection to the WAP is there but it takes a bit longer to get an IP address from the PIX. The Sophos updater must be seeing the connection to the WAP (signal traffic) but the internet connection has not yet been established.

I have checked the PIX for the same issue with the FHC computers that are cable connected - but they obtain their IP addresses nearly instantly. For other computers that connect wirelessly there is a correlation to the signal strength and the time it takes to get an IP address. In some cases a network connection can be established but an IP address is never obtained - thus no internet. This only happens when the signal strength is at the lowest end acceptable.

There may be other issues with the wireless network at work here of which I am not aware. But I can't tell what it would be.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
aprayzr

Post by aprayzr »

I have noticed the same problem in our units with wireless connections. I think the presence of broadband causes the program to assume a connection is available. Hardwire establishes a connection almost immediately on bootup, while wireless takes time to establish a connection with the access point and is not ready immediately. Dial-up must be initiated, requiring action on the part of Sophos. Thus, the problem is isolated to wireless connections.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

aprayzr wrote:Dial-up must be initiated, requiring action on the part of Sophos. Thus, the problem is isolated to wireless connections.
In my case it's activated by MLS.

I think the issue is that it's looking for a 'active' (media connected) network connection, not the IP stack status. The problem is there is too big a lag between becoming 'active' and being 'ready'.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Clerk Computers”