iPhone Scriptures App Project

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
matthewmidgley

iPhone Scriptures App Project

Post by matthewmidgley »

Hello!

I'm just curious, I was looking on the wiki about the iPhone scriptures app. I really like the idea of an official scriptures app and wish I could contribute but I don't have the skills. How did you make the video with the demo of the app?

Thanks
RossEvans

Is this new Android app an unrelated entity?

Post by RossEvans »

I just ran across an app in the Android Market called "LDS Scriptures App." It is a commercial product, which I have not yet tried. (I still use Reveal Reader, which happens to be free.)

Am I correct that this new product has nothing to do with the app being developed by the community under the lds.org umbrella? At first the name confused me.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I think you're correct. It's associated with the website http://www.ldsscriptures.com/ which states "Not officially endorsed by the LDS Church".
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

RussellHltn wrote:I think you're correct. It's associated with the website http://www.ldsscriptures.com/ which states "Not officially endorsed by the LDS Church".
Great product though, as I have the iPhone version of the app. And they just announced that (at least on the iPhone) this scriptures app will integrate with the MyWard app.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

mkmurray wrote:And they just announced that (at least on the iPhone) this scriptures app will integrate with the MyWard app.
Hmmmm. Integrate how? I'm having trouble seeing a connection.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

RussellHltn wrote:Hmmmm. Integrate how? I'm having trouble seeing a connection.
I can't find the email I got about it (from LDSScriptures.com), nor can I find the announcement on either project's website. But if you go to the LDS Scriptures App in the iTunes Store, you will see this statement:
What's New in Version 2.12...New Feature: Integrates with MyWard app (from TrueStarApps) to see your Ward's lesson schedule!
I think it's a very cool development to see partnering apps like that.
matthewmidgley

Post by matthewmidgley »

For those interested, here is the link to the wiki article:
https://tech.lds.org/wiki/index.php/IPhone_Scriptures_Application
hbf-p40

Post by hbf-p40 »

RussellHltn wrote:Hmmmm. Integrate how? I'm having trouble seeing a connection.
The integration happens thus:

Users of MyWard have access to their ward's (and each ward of their stake) Gospel Doctrine and Priesthood/Relief Society Lessons. If you wish to read one of these lessons, the MyWard user would tap the lesson and would normally be taken to LDS.org to view the lesson.

If, however, they have the LDS Scriptures app, they'll be given that option as well. Since the scriptures app has all the lessons internally, it can really speed things up to view them on your iPhone rather than having to access via either Edge, 3G or Wi Fi connection.

When you're done with the lesson, LDS Scriptures app gives you the ability to go directly back to where you were in MyWard. It's a nice, tight integration and collaboration between the two products.
garysturn

Post by garysturn »

If those developing the iPhone Scriptures App download the new iPhone 3.2 version, I would be interested in seeing some screen shots of the app running in the iPad simulator. And a report of how it looks on a bigger screen. It is probably to soon to decide if any special provision will be built in for the larger screen of the iPad. Possibly just multiple font sizes is all that would be needed to make it more usable on multiple screen sizes.
Gary Turner
If you haven't already, please take a moment to review our new
Code of Conduct
jbh001

Post by jbh001 »

GarysTurn wrote:If those developing the iPhone Scriptures App download the new iPhone 3.2 version, I would be interested in seeing some screen shots of the app running in the iPad simulator. And a report of how it looks on a bigger screen. It is probably to soon to decide if any special provision will be built in for the larger screen of the iPad. Possibly just multiple font sizes is all that would be needed to make it more usable on multiple screen sizes.
Just for clarification, I assume you are referring to the iPhone OS 3.2 SDK (Software Developer Kit) which currently only works for the iPad, not the iPhone or iPod Touch. The current iPhone OS is still at version 3.1.2.

Return to “General Discussions”