Temporary Membership Records

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
zaneclark

Temporary Membership Records

Post by zaneclark »

Our ward and another ward which meets in our building have joined the YM/YW and Primary programs together so we now have members from each of the wards serving in various positions in these organizations. Thanks to the clerk wiki, I found a way to create temporary records for those from the other ward, but I have a few questions on this: Does this mean that the member will now have records in 2 wards? Will I be able to use these temporary records to place these members in leadership positions? Will they show on ward directories in both wards?
I haven't started the process yet and wanted to be sure I knew what was coming before I started.

zane
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

zaneclark wrote:Our ward and another ward which meets in our building have joined the YM/YW and Primary programs together so we now have members from each of the wards serving in various positions in these organizations. Thanks to the clerk wiki, I found a way to create temporary records for those from the other ward, but I have a few questions on this: Does this mean that the member will now have records in 2 wards? Will I be able to use these temporary records to place these members in leadership positions? Will they show on ward directories in both wards?
I haven't started the process yet and wanted to be sure I knew what was coming before I started.
Members with an Out of Unit Membership Record:
  • will appear on ward directories, just like any other member
  • can be added to any leadership positions that a similar actual member of the ward can hold
  • retain their real record in their home ward.
    • The temporary record in the other ward is not a full-fledged membership record. It will not automatically get updates such as household address changes, temple recommend renewals, temple ordinances, etc.
    • In their home ward, the real record will appear in all membership lists, get automatic updates, etc.
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

Alan_Brown wrote:Members with an Out of Unit Membership Record:
  • can be added to any leadership positions that a similar actual member of the ward can hold
    • The temporary record in the other ward is not a full-fledged membership record. It will not automatically get updates such as household address changes, temple recommend renewals, temple ordinances, etc.
    • In their home ward, the real record will appear in all membership lists, get automatic updates, etc.
For out of unit members to work correctly in CDOL you need to have the MRN in, but then it should be fine from this side.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

ryan jones wrote:For out of unit members to work correctly in CDOL you need to have the MRN in, but then it should be fine from this side.
That's true, but out of unit members without an MRN should be a rare and diminishing possibility. In older versions of MLS, you could create an out of unit member record without the MRN. However, for the last several versions, it has been a required field, so there's no way for a new out of unit member to be created without an MRN.

I don't recall exactly when the MRN became a required field. I'm pretty sure it started with MLS version 3.0, but it might have been before that. In any case, it's possible that an out of unit member record was created long ago without an MRN, but it can't happen now.

For any old records, the clerk should edit the record and add the MRN. That's a good idea anyway, and is required for CDOL integration and for making an out of unit member a ward MLS User.
zaneclark

Post by zaneclark »

ryan jones wrote:For out of unit members to work correctly in CDOL you need to have the MRN in, but then it should be fine from this side.
Thanks to all of you for your quick response. The temporary membership feature is a great tool that probably would be used more if people knew about it.
zaneclark

Post by zaneclark »

Alan_Brown wrote:Members with an Out of Unit Membership Record:
Will the temporary member records migrate to LUWS as do other member records? I made several changes on Wednesday and haven't seen them yet on the web site..... Maybe i'm getting too impatient....
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

zaneclark wrote:Will the temporary member records migrate to LUWS as do other member records? I made several changes on Wednesday and haven't seen them yet on the web site..... Maybe i'm getting too impatient....

No, out of unit records in MLS are local to your unit -- they do not migrate to LUWS.

If you continue reading the full Out of Unit Membership Record section of the wiki article I linked to, you'll see the "Connection to LUWS" section, which explains the procedure for the stake website administrator adding such people as Non-Resident members to LUWS. That's a totally independent process that has to be followed for LUWS.
zaneclark

Post by zaneclark »

Alan_Brown wrote:No, out of unit records in MLS are local to your unit -- they do not migrate to LUWS.

If you continue reading the full Out of Unit Membership Record section of the wiki article I linked to, you'll see the "Connection to LUWS" section, which explains the procedure for the stake website administrator adding such people as Non-Resident members to LUWS. That's a totally independent process that has to be followed for LUWS.
Thank you! I missed that! I am a stake administrator and have used the "out of unit" feature but didn't think about it in in connection to the temporary member record... Now I can fix it!

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”