Custom Reports - Sorting MLS 3.1.4

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
marker-p40

Custom Reports - Sorting MLS 3.1.4

Post by marker-p40 »

If you go into the custom reports section (and have several) the appear to be displayed in the order they were entered. This means an unalphabetical jumbled order when you have several. At the top of each column of the custom reports menu (where you choose which custom report to run) you can click on the column to sort alphabetically.

However, if I log out and log back in again, that 'sort' is not saved, and so it appears jumbled again. Is there a way to save which column is sorted (perhaps on a per user basis), or to make the default sort be alphabetical by Report Name? That way it won't look so jumbled.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

marker wrote:If you go into the custom reports section (and have several) the appear to be displayed in the order they were entered. This means an unalphabetical jumbled order when you have several. At the top of each column of the custom reports menu (where you choose which custom report to run) you can click on the column to sort alphabetically.

However, if I log out and log back in again, that 'sort' is not saved, and so it appears jumbled again. Is there a way to save which column is sorted (perhaps on a per user basis), or to make the default sort be alphabetical by Report Name? That way it won't look so jumbled.
That's the way MLS works throughout -- the sort order is not saved. It would be a nice enhancement, but there's no way you can save that setting the way MLS works now.
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

I suppose we could suggest a different default sort. It may not be what everyone wants, but I think the current "created date" sort is not helpful to most units. I would prefer an alphabetical by default (especially since that is the first column in the table layout).
RossEvans

Post by RossEvans »

mkmurray wrote:I suppose we could suggest a different default sort. It may not be what everyone wants, but I think the current "created date" sort is not helpful to most units. I would prefer an alphabetical by default (especially since that is the first column in the table layout).

I would guess that the default sort is either by "Indiv ID" for members or "HofH ID" for households, which may be the primary keys for the internal tables. That sort order would effectively be similar to "created date" since both those ID fields are just incremented integers.

Unfortunately, these two ID fields are not exposed in the custom reports, but only in the export files.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

boomerbubba wrote:I would guess that the default sort is either by "Indiv ID" for members or "HofH ID" for households, which may be the primary keys for the internal tables. That sort order would effectively be similar to "created date" since both those ID fields are just incremented integers.

Unfortunately, these two ID fields are not exposed in the custom reports, but only in the export files.
The topic of this thread is the sort order for the list of custom reports itself, not the results of any particular custom report. So Indiv ID and HofH ID aren't really possibilities -- it is indeed just sorted on the creation date at this point.
RossEvans

Post by RossEvans »

Alan_Brown wrote:The topic of this thread is the sort order for the list of custom reports itself, not the results of any particular custom report. So Indiv ID and HofH ID aren't really possibilities -- it is indeed just sorted on the creation date at this point.

Sorry, misread that entirely.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”