Is it official?

Discuss ideas and suggestions around the Church website.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Is it official?

Post by lajackson »

We are finding with increased regularity that what appear to be official changes are being pointed out to priesthood and auxiliary leaders by members who are serving in ward and stake callings within the various organizations. When pressed for a source, these members most often refer to lds.org or other Church publications that appear to be reliable.

We had yet another incident of this today in our stake council meeting where a ward leader had asked a stake leader for additional guidance in implementing a change of which the stake leader was not aware. The stake leader was asking the stake presidency where to obtain accurate and official information on the new policy.

How are we to respond to these inquiries, when no official source of information has been disseminated through ecclesiastical channels?

Are we to consider the Serving in the Church section of lds.org to be official information, even when the information presented appears to be a change to the current handbook(s)?

This is becoming a challenge for some of our more seasoned leaders who are no quite as connected to the electronic world of blogs, websites, and the need to seek out information electronically.

It is one thing to let an auxiliary leader know through priesthood channels the outline of a change, with further details to be provided at the Church web site. It is quite another thing to expect that leader to check the site looking for changes that have not yet been announced or communicated, just in case something changes.

Have we moved to the point where official information comes through lds.org rather than through communication to stake presidents and bishops?

Or are we missing something in our "official" communication channels that we need to fix?

If we have changed, and lds.org is to be treated as "official" (as well it might be), have we been so informed?

As you express your thoughts, please be positive in your responses. Communication is always a challenge, and it is better to get the word through unofficial channels than not at all.

Lately, though, it seems that some changes are not showing up "officially" even after the fact.

Is lds.org official enough to act upon with regard to Handbook changes? Your thoughts?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I'd be inclined to send the question "up the chain". The more wheels that squeak, the more likely someone is going to get the wheel grease.

I'm also likely to invoke Russell's Rule of Programming: In the event of two conflicting written specifications with no clear rules of succession, I get to pick the one I want to follow.

In the absence of any specification, I get to make up my own. :D
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
marianomarini

Post by marianomarini »

I think we are going through a transitional phase. So no wonder about this and welcome your inquiry. I suppose General Authorities must be informed and the right guide line must be known through Priesthood Authority Line (PAL).
My point of view is that Internet is NOT into PAL. No one GA spokes about it as so.
This said I agree with Russell. When this things happen is better to focus into "guide line it self" instead of "how it come".
Lickly we lies into "personal revelation" after deep inquiry. So "read all, ponder all and use the best, and God will do the rest"! This is what guided me into all my years of services.
Remeber that unity is the goal and the Story teached us that no Bible, no D&A or other writing lead to that but "revelation"!
La vita è una lezione interminabile di umiltà (Anonimo).
Life is a endless lesson of humility (Anonimous).
MorettiDP

Post by MorettiDP »

I accept his points of view, Russel and Mariano, but, of course, we need to be unified in the things of God. I understand since LDS.org IS the OFFICIAL site of the Church, it's a trust source. Ok, it's not doctrine, it's a public feature, etc., but we need a way we can have only one opinion for important things. For exemple, this morning I go to a meeting with all stake and wards clerks at 06:00AM in one of our meetinghouses to talk about Church donations. We don't have two donations policies, only one. If a donation policy is published at LDS.org, I thing this policy need to be in full harmony with the policies we hope our clerks do, created at Church Headquarters with approval of general authorities. It's I can understand (if I understand correctly the case).
marianomarini

Post by marianomarini »

I know it will be easy to fell into deep "logical" debate.
Us I said before: We are unite if we follows "God guidance". And He guide us through "revelation"! This is the great message of Restauration!
We are not "a brick in the wall" but sons of God. I can report some "bad translation" about General Instruction Manual (GIM). So we (at least as Italian) we must rely into "revelation" that come through "Quorum Counsels", Starting from First Presidency down to Deacon's Quorum.
I'm no longer into Stake or Ward Presidency, so I can't get access to GIM, but untill 6 mounth ago, I never red that Internet (even official site like this one) must be considered part of PAL.
Funny enough. I left Cattolic Church because it ask me to be a neat executer and refused to join a Protestant Church for it say that I'm law to myself. It's hard, but this Church balance the two with "Priesthood Quorum Councels Revelation".
I would have many things to say, and report about that but, funny to say, what WE are saying here is part of revelation path even if not an official PAL!
MorettiDP

Post by MorettiDP »

You have reason in this thing, Mariano... revelation is and always will be one of the best doctrine at mormonism, as can I see, because all can change if came from beings with pristhood authority and Lord's command. But the thing I have problem to understand is: since a police came from a quorum endowed with priesthood authority, how can different sources have different interpretations? It's the same for doctrinal things. We know the president of the Church is a prophet of God, no (only) because he are called since his baby ages like John Baptist, but too because the Lord give to him an important calling with the responsability of oversees the Church administration as president of the Church and be a voice of warning to all the world as a prophet.

Of couse, without caution, we can transform this tech-forum in a doctrinary classroom, but it's not my intention; to me, is important the Church provide only one way to see the things (specialy polices) in cases only one interpretation is possible, by revelation or not. It's the work of the Correlation Department, I imagine.
marianomarini

Post by marianomarini »

I agree with you. So WE hope GA gave a look at it and give to us more light and knowledge. Since that WE MUST rely into our good attitude to search more light and knowledge from heaven.:)

Return to “Main Church Website”