Cancelled checks

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
oduvall-p40

Cancelled checks

Post by oduvall-p40 »

How do I get a copy of a cancelled Fast Offering check? We paid the mortgage payment for a member and the bank says they never received it. The check does appear as cleared on our last financial statement.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

oduvall wrote:How do I get a copy of a cancelled Fast Offering check? We paid the mortgage payment for a member and the bank says they never received it. The check does appear as cleared on our last financial statement.
Contact Local Unit Support. They can get a copy for you.
RossEvans

Post by RossEvans »

oduvall wrote:How do I get a copy of a cancelled Fast Offering check? We paid the mortgage payment for a member and the bank says they never received it. The check does appear as cleared on our last financial statement.

If you call clerk support, they can tell you if the check has cleared as of today, rather than waiting for next month's statement. They also will mail a copy to the bishop if it has cleared.

Did you mail the check directly to the bank, and did the mailing include all the right identifying data such as account number -- preferably with the bank's own return-this-with-payment stub? I recall an incident when we sent a utility check, but without the vendor's own stub the utility vendor failed to credit it for a couple of weeks. Before that happened, the benficiary was getting dunned. So we assumed the check was lost, stopped payment and sent a replacement. That miscommunication ended up triggering a series of errors with the vendor until we got if fixed a month or two later.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”