Can't Delete News & Information from LUWS

Share discussions around the Classic Local Unit Website (LUWS).
mcallaghan

Can't Delete News & Information from LUWS

Post by mcallaghan »

If this is "old news" (sorry for the pun) to some, I apologize. But I just discovered something that I thought I'd share, just in case it helps someone else.

I am the administrator for our LUWS. A member pointed out to me today that we have some old news showing up on our "News and Information" page. It's not just old, it's really old. Most of the people mentioned on one of the items aren't even members of our branch anymore.

When I went into Administrative Options and tried to "Maintain" the News and Information, there was nothing to maintain. The items simply weren't there.

Here is how I deleted the items:
  1. I created a new news item and verified that it appeared on the "maintain" page.
  2. In a separate browser tab, I opened the LUWS News and Information page, showing the two old items.
  3. On the "Maintain" page are two links next to the news item I had just created: "Change" and "Delete". I made note of the URL for the Delete link, as it contains the ID of the news item.
  4. Having the ID of the valid news item, I opened the "Change" link in yet-another-tab.
  5. Back on the News and Information page, I looked at the links for the old news items to determine their IDs.
  6. I manually changed the ID in the address bar (URL) of the news item I was changing. This allowed me to edit the old news item.
  7. I clicked the Delete button.
  8. Then I repeated steps 5-7 for the last news item.
Wow! What a pain that was! I can only assume that some of these news items were 2+ years old and thus had their links deleted for some reason. Hopefully if you have stale news items on your LUWS, this might help you delete or edit them.

Mike
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

Mike,

Thanks for the suggestion. From the sound of it you did some hoop jumping :p
As you said, hopefully this will help someone else. If might also be a good idea to advise your stake admin so he's aware of it as well.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

mcallaghan wrote:Here is how I deleted the items:
I thought news items at LUWS were entered with an expiration date and went away at that time. Did I misunderstand, or were these posted without any end date?

Thanks for the workaround, though.
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

lajackson wrote:I thought news items at LUWS were entered with an expiration date and went away at that time. Did I misunderstand, or were these posted without any end date?

Thanks for the workaround, though.

They CAN be entered with an expiration date or you can leave that blank.
If I understand the post correctly the news item was so old that it had former members of the ward mentioned in it.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Even if you do enter an expiration date, it will still remain in the admin module for some time - it just won't show in the user side.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
mcallaghan

Post by mcallaghan »

Right. These items had no expiration date, but apparently were so old they had fallen off the maintain page anyway. The worst part about it was that one of the members listed as helping out in nursery "this week" died a couple of years ago. It upset at least one person, who brought it to my attention. Hence my "hoop jumping" to get rid of it.

Mike

PS: Hopefully my avatar is acceptable. It doesn't appear to violate the code of conduct, and illustrates two of my favorite things. :)
ShirtsDre

Post by ShirtsDre »

mcallaghan wrote:Right. These items had no expiration date, but apparently were so old they had fallen off the maintain page anyway. The worst part about it was that one of the members listed as helping out in nursery "this week" died a couple of years ago. It upset at least one person, who brought it to my attention. Hence my "hoop jumping" to get rid of it.
According to the code of this page, even if there was an event 10 years old (No, the site hasn't been around that long), it should always show current and expired items on the admin page.
I did find one small technical issue with the way the records are being displayed on only the admin page that could have caused this on only the admin page. The fix will hopefully be released soon.

The non-admin page should always display non-expired items and items without an expiration date.

Has anyone else had a problem with this same type of experience on the News and Information pages (admin and/or non admin) ?
-- Learn from the past. Prepare for the future. Live in the present. -- President Thomas S. Monson
Danpeay

Post by Danpeay »

Mike, Thank you for the work-around! I have this same issue. On the general page, there are two new items and 3 over 1 year old items. None of them had an expiration date associated. However, on the admin page, only the two new items appear on the maintenance. I actually want to keep my old items, but just update them.

Thanks,
Dan

Return to “Classic Ward & Stake Sites (LUWS)”