Check printed with the wrong number.

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
mjwhite316-p40

Check printed with the wrong number.

Post by mjwhite316-p40 »

Some of the Bishopric and another clerk were doing end of year payments a few days before January 1. the first check they printed was loaded in the printer backwards and printed incorrectly. I wasn't there and so I don't know exactly what they did, but I do have the incorrect check stub, and also the correct one, that has the true check number on it. they didn't change the check number in MLS, and so it is showing on our report as the number of the stock that was misprinted. Does any one know the best way to fix that? Should I void the one check, and then reenter an expense with the number it printed as and then just print it on white paper and shred that? I'm trying to avoid a bigger headache down the road. Thanks
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

mjwhite316 wrote:Some of the Bishopric and another clerk were doing end of year payments a few days before January 1. the first check they printed was loaded in the printer backwards and printed incorrectly. I wasn't there and so I don't know exactly what they did, but I do have the incorrect check stub, and also the correct one, that has the true check number on it. they didn't change the check number in MLS, and so it is showing on our report as the number of the stock that was misprinted. Does any one know the best way to fix that? Should I void the one check, and then reenter an expense with the number it printed as and then just print it on white paper and shred that? I'm trying to avoid a bigger headache down the road.
So if I understand correctly, they printed MLS check #101 (picking a sample number) on check stock #101 incorrectly. Then they printed MLS check #101 on check stock #102. You don't mention a couple of important things:
  • What happened to the check #101 that was misprinted on check stock #101? You said you have the stub, but said nothing about the check itself. That should have been retained and VOID written on the face of the check stock.
  • What happened with check #103 and beyond? When you went to print your next check, MLS would have defaulted to #102, but your next available check stock was #103. Did someone notice the inconsistency and correct the MLS number prior to printing on stock #103?
  • I assume check #101 printed on stock #102 was actually given to the payee, since you mentioned only the stub. Is that correct?
  • Have you checked with Local Unit Support to see if that check has cleared yet?
Regardless of the answers to those questions, it appears that check #101 was printed on stock #102. Theoretically, the Positive Pay system should reject payment of that check, since the magnetic ink on the check would say that it was check #102, but the data transmitted from MLS to the Positive Pay system would say that it was check #101. However, checks that should be rejected are very often cashed, in my experience.

You could also contact the payee. If they have not yet cashed the check, the safest thing would probably be to ask them for that check, void the original check, and replace it with a proper check. Then this situation would become a normal voiding and replacing of a check.

But if the check has been cashed, then you just have to deal with it. Currently MLS says the check is #101. It's ambiguous what check that really was -- you could argue that it was #101 or #102. I wouldn't change it -- that won't really clarify anything. Rather, I would simply make a note that I would attach to the expense documentation explaining what happened, and I would retain both stubs.
mjwhite316-p40

Post by mjwhite316-p40 »

Ok, well I do have the voided check, they did leave that for me, and they did change the number for the next check, and so they are all correct. They did give the check to the ward member and I don't know if they have cashed it yet. I'll try to get a hold of them and see if they have, and see if I can get it fixed before it goes through. And if I understand correctly, once the check goes through, I can't fix anything, I just need to hold on to the records of what happened, correct? Thanks for the insight.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

mjwhite316 wrote:Ok, well I do have the voided check, they did leave that for me, and they did change the number for the next check, and so they are all correct. They did give the check to the ward member and I don't know if they have cashed it yet. I'll try to get a hold of them and see if they have, and see if I can get it fixed before it goes through. And if I understand correctly, once the check goes through, I can't fix anything, I just need to hold on to the records of what happened, correct? Thanks for the insight.
Yes, if the check has actually been cashed, then all you can do is document what happened. Fortunately, it seems to be limited to just the one check.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”