New Security Software

Discussions around the setup, operation, replacement, and disposal of clerk computers, not to include using MLS
lorraine1950

New Security Software

Post by lorraine1950 »

I'm the Assistant Stake Clerk-Technology, for what that's worth.
I recently got an email, dated 12/29/09 from ldsmail.net, about new Local Unit Security Software to be downloaded. It refers to deleting other security software on the computer and on removable storage devices. It also mentions that the new download will automatically uninstall Symantec software.
Being semi-illiterate with computers, I ask:
Is Symantec the only software that will be automatically uninstalled? Does it still need to be deleted after being uninstalled?
What are some other software that will need to be deleted manually? Do they need to be uninstalled then deleted, or deleted then uninstalled, or what? Is deleted and uninstalled the same thing?
What removable storage devices? Do I have to go through all the backup discs kept by the wards and delete something there, and if so, what?
Will I need to download this to each computer in the stake, including Family History Center? Can I put this on a flashdrive and do the several computers with that, or do I need to do a download for each computer? The email says I need the unit number for the computer, how do I do that if using a flashdrive?
Sorry for all the questions, but I want to know how to do this right. Remember, I didn't ask for this calling, but didn't refuse it, either.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

E&LDow wrote:Being semi-illiterate with computers, I ask:
Is Symantec the only software that will be automatically uninstalled? Does it still need to be deleted after being uninstalled?
Symantec antivirus is the only software that is automatically uninstalled by the new Anti-Virus and Anti-Malware Software Installer.

The program itself is not available for deletion, especially after it has been uninstalled. The reference to deletion means that you are to delete any copies of installation programs that would install Symantec. This would primarily mean the old Local Unit Security Suite installer.
E&LDow wrote:What are some other software that will need to be deleted manually? Do they need to be uninstalled then deleted, or deleted then uninstalled, or what? Is deleted and uninstalled the same thing?
What removable storage devices? Do I have to go through all the backup discs kept by the wards and delete something there, and if so, what?
Nothing else needs to be deleted or uninstalled. You simply need to delete the old Local Unit Security Suite installer from any hard drives or removable storage devices that may have had that installer on them. This has nothing to do with backup disks kept by the wards (fortunately -- that would be a big job :)).
E&LDow wrote:Will I need to download this to each computer in the stake, including Family History Center? Can I put this on a flashdrive and do the several computers with that, or do I need to do a download for each computer?
You can simply put the new anti-virus and computer management installers on a flash drive and use that to install this on each administrative computer in the stake.

Do not install this on Family History Center computers. They should already be running Sophos, but FHCs have their own way of installing such software (through the Software Deployment Portal).
E&LDow wrote:The email says I need the unit number for the computer, how do I do that if using a flashdrive?
You only need a valid unit number to login to the MLS download site; once you have downloaded the software from that site to a flash drive, you can install that software on all the administrative computers from the same flash drive. You don't have to specify individual unit numbers as you install the software.
lorraine1950

Post by lorraine1950 »

Thanks so much, Alan, that helps alot. Sorry to be such a bother.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

E&LDow wrote:Thanks so much, Alan, that helps alot. Sorry to be such a bother.
You're certainly welcome. But you're not a bother, and there's no need to be sorry -- we're all here on this forum to help each other. If you have questions, chances are that many others have the same questions. Because you posted the questions, those others will benefit from the answers.
aprayzr

Post by aprayzr »

Does anyone know how long the silent install runs? I have done seven installations, doing 2-3 at a time in tandem, but with many interruptions. I always waited about 15 mins - mostly due to interruptions - between starting the computer management software and the sophos software. I have single unit buildings left to do installs at and just planning my time.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

It is preferable to run the Anti-virus update first, because it can remove a DLL needed by LANDesk.

The best way to see that the management software is done is to bring up task manager, and highlight the EXE that you started. When it disappears, it's over.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

Russel, did you mean NOT to run the Anti-Virus software removal first? I agree with your task manager solution, that is the way I found to figure out when things are completed.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

aprayzr wrote:Does anyone know how long the silent install runs? I have done seven installations, doing 2-3 at a time in tandem, but with many interruptions. I always waited about 15 mins - mostly due to interruptions - between starting the computer management software and the sophos software. I have single unit buildings left to do installs at and just planning my time.
It really depends. For a moderately fragmented hard drive on a Dell Optiplex GX270 with 512MB of RAM the anti-virus/anti-malware install took about 7 minutes. You know when the install is done by the message to reboot the computer to complete the install. There is no progress indicator. The computer management software update took about 3 minutes - no reboot required.

Once the anti-virus/anti-malware was installed it took some time after that for the Sophos updater to finish updating the program and IDEs. I have not timed that because it varies from day to day. All the installs I have done so far have been on systems with broadband connections.

As Russell mentioned the only way to tell when the management update is done is by monitoring the task manager.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

jshawut wrote:Russel, did you mean NOT to run the Anti-Virus software removal first? I agree with your task manager solution, that is the way I found to figure out when things are completed.
It is best to run the anti-virus installer first to avoid having to do it again. I have not had any problems installing the anti-virus first followed by the management install. Others have reported problems when the installs are done the other way around.

As Russell mentioned there is a library file (DLL) that would have to be installed again if the management installer is run first.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
aprayzr

Post by aprayzr »

Good point.

But still curious as to how long it will take. 3 of the 4 remaining computers are the old GX270s and all are 45-90 minutes away in 3 different directions, so time planning is important here. I should have been thinking ahead and timed one of the installs.

Return to “Clerk Computers”