Genealogy and Interfaces

Discussions around Genealogy technology.
albertoaflores-p40

Genealogy and Interfaces

Post by albertoaflores-p40 »

Does anyone know of any app (client/server, web-based, etc) that has a "fun" or "powerful" user presentation interface? I have been making some research of how "interfaces" can increase the chances of an application to be used and I know that genealogy can be one application that can benefit tremendously from a "cool" designed interface. Any thoughts?
thedqs
Community Moderators

Post by thedqs »

What type of project will it be an interface to? Personally for powerful you have a command-line but for most people that is not fun. If you are strictly Geneology I personally enjoy using Legacy's GUI as a mix between powerful and fun.
- David
brianc-p40

For genealogy try TNG

Post by brianc-p40 »

Go look at Darrin Lythgoe's The Next Generation of Genealogy Site-Building. (TNG6)

Fun and useful interface. Great demo environment he's got set up. Check out the pedigree displays and the administration.
dlongmore

Post by dlongmore »

Check out geni.com.
scion-p40

Post by scion-p40 »

After about a dozen years of using & teaching PAF, I switched to Legacy when my eldest child was about 14. She wanted to learn how to input, but PAF was not an intuitive program.

The first clincher for her with Legacy was the ability to hover on the screen & a box pops up to tell her what can be done there, while the keystroke detail (i.e.: left click, right click, etc.) displays in the bottom left corner of the screen. Merging, internet searches, master lists, and modification dates are all features that my young family use frequently.
thedqs
Community Moderators

Post by thedqs »

Hopefully those features will be implemented with the new FamilySearch Desktop Client. Although I also enjoy using legacy and also placing pictures and documents with my relatives.

Disclaimer: Legacy is a commercial product that has a shareware version available. I just putting for it's name as a personal preference.
- David

Return to “Family History”