FamilySearch-Ancestry.com partnership over?

Discussions around Genealogy technology.
MorettiDP

FamilySearch-Ancestry.com partnership over?

Post by MorettiDP »

Today I'm trying to find an ancestor that probably migrate from Italy to USA at 1850's +/-. Searching for resources at the web, I find that a partnership between GSU and Ancestry.com (see at http://corporate.ancestry.com/press/pre ... ew/?id=299) give to us, Church members, when logged in at old FamilySearch, a way to see USA 1880 Census records images on line.

I can't find informations from my ancestors, but I can find President Joseph F. Smith records at this census, with a link to Ancestry.com (the record is at http://www.familysearch.org/eng/search/census/individual_record.asp?INDI_CODE=1880US%5F4239991%5F0&lds=5&region=0&regionfriendly=&juris1=US&juris2=&juris3=&juris4=&regionfriendly=&juris1friendly=United+States&juris2friendly=&juris3friendly=&juris4friendly=)

When logged in, the link have a javascript code with instructions to don't request payment as you can see above:
javascript:s_linkType='o';s_linkName='Census individual record - No cost Ancestry link';s_lnk=s_co(this); s_gs('ldsfch'); imageWindow=open('http://www.ancestry.com/FamilySearch/?n ... height=440');imageWindow.focus();

But, for my surprise, when I click at the link, I go to a page requesting payment (and because I'm from outside US, the price is bigger) (see at http://www.ancestry.com/security/deny.a ... a700%253a0).

Any of you know why the link don't work more for Church members? Is the agreement fallen? :confused:
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

The link on FamilySearch says "View Original Image". Just below it it says, in small print, "for a fee".

So yeah, it looks like it's broken.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

I used to work for Ancestry.com; it was between 2-3 years ago that the new CEO at the time thought it was silly to be providing so much free service to the Church. He wanted to introduce a charge (probably a discounted one), but the Church said "No Thanks" and the agreement ended. There are many members of the Church that work at Ancestry.com and you can imagine some of the reaction that happened.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Oops. I didn't log into FamilySearch when I did that. When I'm logged in, it doesn't say "for a fee". So clearly something isn't right.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

mkmurray wrote:I used to work for Ancestry.com; it was between 2-3 years ago that the new CEO at the time thought it was silly to be providing so much free service to the Church. He wanted to introduce a charge (probably a discounted one), but the Church said "No Thanks" and the agreement ended. There are many members of the Church that work at Ancestry.com and you can imagine some of the reaction that happened.
My understanding is that the church had a contractual agreement with Ancestry. It was rumored to be something like hosting the images in exchange for the index. However, over the years, Ancestry went well beyond the contract. Then about 2-3 years ago, Ancestry cut back. The FHCs lost a great resource, but it wasn't completely gone. I'm not sure if the original contact had an expiration date or not, but assuming it hasn't expired, we should still be seeing the 1880 census images.

mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

RussellHltn wrote:My understanding is that the church had a contractual agreement with Ancestry. It was rumored to be something like hosting the images in exchange for the index. However, over the years, Ancestry went well beyond the contract. Then about 2-3 years ago, Ancestry cut back. The FHCs lost a great resource, but it wasn't completely gone. I'm not sure if the original contact had an expiration date or not, but assuming it hasn't expired, we should still be seeing the 1880 census images.
That's probably more accurate. :)
MorettiDP

Post by MorettiDP »

uhm... It's so curious... Why the links are available at the site if the Church don't work more with Ancestry.com? The company logo are in the icon... It's a good propaganda to Ancestry, as I can see.
rontilby

Post by rontilby »

It seems to me that every few years Ancestry.com and the church have a spat and stop their cooperative agreements for a few months. Then they get back together and play nice for awhile. They're back together at the moment. Family History Centers currently have access to some of the Ancestry.com databases. Visitors to the main library in SLC have access to (I believe) all of Ancestry.com
MorettiDP

Post by MorettiDP »

rontilby wrote:It seems to me that every few years Ancestry.com and the church have a spat and stop their cooperative agreements for a few months. Then they get back together and play nice for awhile. They're back together at the moment. Family History Centers currently have access to some of the Ancestry.com databases. Visitors to the main library in SLC have access to (I believe) all of Ancestry.com

Yes, It's ture, like is true Ancestry.com is whole available at CES schools (BYU, BYU-I, BYU-H and LDSBC).

But, if are together again, why the links don't do their job?

Return to “Family History”