New features when?

Share discussions around the Classic Local Unit Website (LUWS).
zaneclark

New features when?

Post by zaneclark »

The proposed new features for the LUWS are exciting, especially the new ward directory with much larger photos possible. Now, I have 2 questions: First can we be pretty certain the changes as they are illustrated on the wiki will look like that? The second question, is there any kind of estimate of the date for this major update to LUWS?
malandro95

Luws

Post by malandro95 »

I, like Zane, am very excited for the new LUWS system. I'm eager to hear the answer to the WHEN question. I'd also like to add a question: Will there be an API that will allow easy access to data for 3rd Party Apps?
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

zaneclark wrote:The proposed new features for the LUWS are exciting, especially the new ward directory with much larger photos possible. Now, I have 2 questions: First can we be pretty certain the changes as they are illustrated on the wiki will look like that?
I agree, the new look and proposed features do look great. I have personally seen a few features cut out of the first release on the Wiki pages, but it has been a while since those requirements have been updated. Perhaps this means they have a stable set of features. But do know there is also still a possibility that some features may not make it. Most of them likely will though.
zaneclark wrote:The second question, is there any kind of estimate of the date for this major update to LUWS?
I personally have seen no status update in quite a long time. I think it is still being worked on, but that information may be only known between Church employees and any community members active on the project.
malandro95 wrote:I, like Zane, am very excited for the new LUWS system. I'm eager to hear the answer to the WHEN question. I'd also like to add a question: Will there be an API that will allow easy access to data for 3rd Party Apps?
There is nothing on the Wiki regarding such a feature. I have personally inquired about similar public facing APIs (a scriptures one) so that third party apps could use the official content, but add custom functionality and features. My personal take on the situation is that the Church seems hesitant on this front at the current time.
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

mkmurray wrote:I personally have seen no status update in quite a long time. I think it is still being worked on, but that information may be only known between Church employees and any community members active on the project.
I need to amend this statement, as I took a moment to browse around the Jira bug and task tracker the Church has publicly exposed for Community Developer access. I believe you have to have a login to update anything, but it appears it may be open for public browsing. Here are links to LUC and LUD Jira projects:

https://tech.lds.org/jira/browse/LUC
https://tech.lds.org/jira/browse/LUD

In the case of LUC, I saw that many tasks were updated on Dec. 10th, and then I saw one that was updated on Dec. 11th and one on Dec. 23rd. I think it's safe to say these projects are definitely under active development still. I can imagine progress slowed around the Holidays.
zaneclark

Post by zaneclark »

mkmurray wrote:I need to amend this statement, as I took a moment to browse around the Jira bug and task tracker the Church has publicly exposed for Community Developer access. I believe you have to have a login to update anything, but it appears it may be open for public browsing. Here are links to LUC and LUD Jira projects:

https://tech.lds.org/jira/browse/LUC
https://tech.lds.org/jira/browse/LUD

In the case of LUC, I saw that many tasks were updated on Dec. 10th, and then I saw one that was updated on Dec. 11th and one on Dec. 23rd. I think it's safe to say these projects are definitely under active development still. I can imagine progress slowed around the Holidays.

Thank you for those links.....I could understand very little of it but it was exciting to see how the process works and that they are actively working on resolving problems. Let's hope 2010 will see the introduction of the new LUWS.
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

zaneclark wrote:Let's hope 2010 will see the introduction of the new LUWS.
I would say 2010 is definitely a possibility (for at least two new LUWS features, if not the entire LUWS). It appears the Church has made a ton of progress over the last year or so with infrastructure changes to accommodate the new directions for LUWS, CDOL, Maps, MLS, etc.
chriswoodut-p40

Email list management!

Post by chriswoodut-p40 »

mkmurray wrote:I would say 2010 is definitely a possibility (for at least two new LUWS features, if not the entire LUWS). It appears the Church has made a ton of progress over the last year or so with infrastructure changes to accommodate the new directions for LUWS, CDOL, Maps, MLS, etc.
The absolute most frustrating thing that they could fix is how the email lists could be managed. We have 3 different organizations maintaining their own email lists. The lists are being used for good things but the lists have also been hijacked for political discussions, yard sale notices, etc.

We can't reign in the email lists until there is some real management functionality with the lists. The biggest being that the admin can update people's email addresses.
jbh001

Post by jbh001 »

chriswoodut wrote:The absolute most frustrating thing that they could fix is how the email lists could be managed. We have 3 different organizations maintaining their own email lists. The lists are being used for good things but the lists have also been hijacked for political discussions, yard sale notices, etc.

We can't reign in the email lists until there is some real management functionality with the lists. The biggest being that the admin can update people's email addresses.
I still think it would be best for the member to update their own email address in LUWS, but the admin definately needs the ability to at least flag and shut down a bad email address so that the member is required to verify/validate their email address the next time they log in to LUWS.
Danpeay

email list management

Post by Danpeay »

chriswoodut wrote:The absolute most frustrating thing that they could fix is how the email lists could be managed. We have 3 different organizations maintaining their own email lists. The lists are being used for good things but the lists have also been hijacked for political discussions, yard sale notices, etc.

Having served as web admin for 3 years, I absolutly agree with Chris. At least 20 individuals in our ward maintain their own personal spreadsheet or document of email addresses, because so many of the addresses on the ward site are outdated. Email sent from the ward web site have clear opt-out links, so it is easy for a member to then change their address or remove from distribution. As it is today, the Scouting email list has different email addresses for the same members from the other auxiliaries, resulting in the potential for members to get frustrated about how to resolve.

Even Sr. Stake leaders have email addresses that have not been valid for over 3 years. They say, "Please fix it for me." I tell them, "Sorry, I can't. Follow these 5 steps..." Three years later, the old address is still there.

They WANT the correct email address posted, they just can't remember their login, don't think about it, don't know how..."
Thanks,
Dan
2mycloud

LUWS in UK

Post by 2mycloud »

mkmurray wrote:I would say 2010 is definitely a possibility (for at least two new LUWS features, if not the entire LUWS). It appears the Church has made a ton of progress over the last year or so with infrastructure changes to accommodate the new directions for LUWS, CDOL, Maps, MLS, etc.
I agree, it is great to see that updates for CDOL, Maps and MLS are world wide and not just US and Canada. They are great, especially CDOL.

We still don't have LUWS here in the UK. We have a legacy option for a Stake Calendar on http://www.lds.org.uk (you will see how far behind we are) Hopefully the new version of LUWS be available finally here in the UK and outside of the US and Canada.

Return to “Classic Ward & Stake Sites (LUWS)”