Geo Codes in MLS

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
kalnius

Geo Codes in MLS

Post by kalnius »

In an individual membership record there are GEO codes for the stake and ward. I am able to access the drop-down for the stake and there is one number to choose. Under the ward drop-down there are no choices at all.

I am going through the records and making sure everything is in order. The ward GEO code doesn't appear. What do I do?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

Ozzy wrote:In an individual membership record there are GEO codes for the stake and ward. I am able to access the drop-down for the stake and there is one number to choose. Under the ward drop-down there are no choices at all.

I am going through the records and making sure everything is in order. The ward GEO code doesn't appear. What do I do?
I would guess this is because there are no Ward Geo Codes defined at this point. The list is simply a collection of all the codes that are in use. So just start adding codes to households (click the Add button in the lower left corner of the "Select the Ward Geo Code" dialog), and as you do, you will build up the selection list. See this post for details.
kalnius

Post by kalnius »

I guess I put the cart before the horse. I have been reading about GEO codes in the wiki. I guess I don't have a good grasp of how they apply in MLS. I get it that they are based on standardized GEO codes in global positioning systems, but what is the application for these in MLS?

I am not versed on the use of a GPS. This looks like a lot of work - investigating, assigning codes, etc.

Confused...:confused:
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

Geo codes used in MLS have nothing to do with geographic coordinates. It is a user developed system to identify a user chosen geographic area. There is no system associated with the MLS geo codes other than that developed by the user. The user defined geographic area is given a code of up to eight characters. The primary purpose is in creating or realigning unit boundaries.

You can read about MLS geo codes in the MLS Help.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Ozzy wrote:I get it that they are based on standardized GEO codes in global positioning systems
Not at all. YOU define what the codes mean. Whatever works for your unit. Depending on how large your ward is, it might represent a building (for a BYU student ward), a street, a block, a zip code, a town, etc. You could even use a "map square" system based on what square on the map a address is located. Whatever break down makes sense to you.

Note that Geo codes are for grouping people together - that is the same family in the same area (as defined by you) will have the same code. This is so you can run reports on those areas. Attempting to use Geo codes to identify a unique location (like a GPS coordinate) doesn't work well when it comes time to do reports.

I'm not sure what others use Geo codes for, but one of the most common usages is for re-drawing ward boundaries. By entering the codes, you can run reports based on different proposed boundary lines to see what the results would be. When the split finally happens, you use the codes to define which families get moved out to which ward and which ones stay.

May I ask what purpose you have in mind for Geo codes? That will drive what coding system you decide on. If you have no need for grouping members by location, then Geo codes will not be of any benefit to you.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
kalnius

Post by kalnius »

I'm not sure what others use Geo codes for, but one of the most common usages is for re-drawing ward boundaries. By entering the codes, you can run reports based on different proposed boundary lines to see what the results would be. When the split finally happens, you use the codes to define which families get moved out to which ward and which ones stay.

May I ask what purpose you have in mind for Geo codes? That will drive what coding system you decide on. If you have no need for grouping members by location, then Geo codes will not be of any benefit to you.[/QUOTE]

OK - this makes much more sense now. I doubt seriously that GEO codes will be something that I will need to use, as we are not expanding anytime soon in this stake. Our ward and stake haven't been using them anyhow (it appears).

I was curious about them, as I received some written council from another ward clerk in a different area that, as part of my effort to update the records, GEO codes should be assigned and updated in MLS.

I won't worry about it at this point.

Thanks to everyone for the good tips and explanations.:rolleyes:
kalnius

Post by kalnius »

RussellHltn wrote:I'm not sure what others use Geo codes for, but one of the most common usages is for re-drawing ward boundaries. By entering the codes, you can run reports based on different proposed boundary lines to see what the results would be. When the split finally happens, you use the codes to define which families get moved out to which ward and which ones stay.

May I ask what purpose you have in mind for Geo codes? That will drive what coding system you decide on. If you have no need for grouping members by location, then Geo codes will not be of any benefit to you.

I see. Makes sense to me now. Our ward has not assinged anything to GEO codes. We (like the stake) are not expanding anytime soon.

I was curious about them, as another ward clerk in a different area mentioned that I should make sure GEO codes have been assigned in MLS. I am not going to worry about them right now.

I mistakenly thought that GEO codes had something to do with mapping per GPS. My mistake.:cool:

Thanks to everyone for the good tips and explanations. :rolleyes:
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Ozzy wrote:I was curious about them, as another ward clerk in a different area mentioned that I should make sure GEO codes have been assigned in MLS. I am not going to worry about them right now.
Wise move. Short of doing a boundary realignment, they are completely optional.

Unless your stake wants them for some reason. But if that's the case, they should be providing some direction.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
greggo

Post by greggo »

Another potential use for geo codes would be to help divide up HT/VT routes by area. Although, I've never used them, so I don't know how helpful they would be.
danpass

Post by danpass »

Greggo wrote:Another potential use for geo codes would be to help divide up HT/VT routes by area. Although, I've never used them, so I don't know how helpful they would be.
For many years now, my ward has used the ward geo code field for organizing emergency preparedness groups in our ward.

Return to “Membership Help”