Church Magazines

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
showseason-p40

Church Magazines

Post by showseason-p40 »

The bishop tells me that we should have received the annual magazine drive materials and a list of those in the ward that subscribe to the magazines. He says he has not gotten it though. Did it go out and he just not get it or maybe misplaced it? Did other wards receive it?
Al
heyring

Magazine Subscribers

Post by heyring »

I too would like to have a list of members in my ward who are currently subscribing to church magazines.

Any ideo how I can obtain this list
mfmohlma

Post by mfmohlma »

Some information is available about the duties of the Ward Magazine Representative here.

The enclosure linked here certainly seems to indicate that someone in the ward (most likely the bishop) receives a list of current subscribers. The number listed in this enclosure (1-800-537-5971) for more questions is just the number to Distribution Services. It sounds like giving them a call would get you at least the date and to whom this list was sent.
JamesAnderson

Post by JamesAnderson »

I think there might be a way to have this list handled via MLS, where more frequent reports and updates could be done via send/receive. And more sophisticated reports as well to help leaders get the New Era and Friend into the homes those are most needed in.

1. The report itself. A new feature in MLS would be 'Church Magazine Subscription Report' and Headquarters would send it down at a frequency TBD, whether weekly or monthly. It would have the following fields:

Member/Family head name: An adult member single or married, and if a family, would have just a line for that family by the head of household.

Three magazine fields:

Ensign
New Era
Friend

If the family had members in either or both the New Era field, there could be a way to alert the magazine rep or leaders that this would be a family to approach about a magazine subscription to those particular magazine. The field would have a check mark once the member subscribed. A field beside each magazine would be blank until the magazine was subscribed to and then would fill with the expiration date once HQ received the subscription, whether from a magazine drive or the member phoned it in, mailed it in, or purchased a sub at a Distribution Services store.

A monthly list could be generated for the magazine rep indicating which families needed to renew, and which magazines they needed renewal for.

In the case of Ensign subscriptions, Magazines has an option to get one with extra conference issues. Families with two or more adults could be noted so the magazine rep knows how many extra conference issues per conference will be needed. Useful for families where a college student is living at home, or in locations like BYU where a number of students share the same apartment or house.

There may be other ideas related to this also.
greggo

Post by greggo »

I'm having a difficult time understanding the real need for such a list.

For my family, we like to get the printed word, and to us it is worth the nominal price. But now with all issues available online, I'm sure many are opting for the free option (especially single members and students). I know someone who has been reading the Ensign online exclusively for years.
showseason-p40

Post by showseason-p40 »

We annually review the list of ward subscribers to identify those families we think would benefit from the magazines and the ward pays for them. Home and Visiting Teachers help by reporting back if these families already take the magazine (printed or online) and may not show on our lists. We identify people within our ward boundaries that get the magazines but that do not show as ward members, did we not get their records? Or would a missionary visit be appropriate? The Primary gets extra copies of the Friend to take out to children in less active families with monthly visits.

We feel it is important information to get. I'll be calling SL today to see what I can find out.
showseason-p40

Post by showseason-p40 »

OK, I called Distribution Services at 801-537-3971 toll-free. They could not tell me when the materials (magazine drive items and current subscription list) had been mailed but thought it was in the past few weeks. They did offer to send another copy of the list of those receiving the mags in our ward and it should be here in a week.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

showseason wrote:801-537-3971 toll-free.
801 isn't toll-free unless you live very close to them. ;)
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
showseason-p40

Post by showseason-p40 »

RussellHltn wrote:801 isn't toll-free unless you live very close to them. ;)
I really blew it, actually 800‑537-5971. Thanks for the correction.

Return to “General Discussions”