Name Changes

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
brdrider-p40

Name Changes

Post by brdrider-p40 »

What legal documentation, if any, is needed to change a name on a membership record? For example, if a member was recently divorced and is reverting back to their maiden name.
calebpusey

Post by calebpusey »

brdrider wrote:What legal documentation, if any, is needed to change a name on a membership record? For example, if a member was recently divorced and is reverting back to their maiden name.
A current driver's license would suffice, or any documentation from the court finalizing the divorce.
Caleb
jesmichele-p40

Post by jesmichele-p40 »

What about a for a child?
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

jesmichele wrote:What about a for a child?
I would think something like adoption papers or other similar court documents would suffice.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
kalnius

Post by kalnius »

CzechRM wrote:A current driver's license would suffice, or any documentation from the court finalizing the divorce.

I have a situation right now where the member's legal name was not properly entered into the MLS record (she has a hyphenated name and part of it was omitted on record entry years ago). Do I still need to get a legal document to change it or simply make the change (if so, do I copy the document and keep it somewhere)?

Either way, what category do I assign it to when MLS asks for the reason the name is being changed?

Thanks.
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

Ozzy wrote:Either way, what category do I assign it to when MLS asks for the reason the name is being changed?
There is a category for correcting a full name that is currently misspelled. I would use that one.
kalnius

Post by kalnius »

Thanks I'll try it that way.

Return to “Membership Help”