Boundary Changes and Tithing settlement

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
allenjpl

Boundary Changes and Tithing settlement

Post by allenjpl »

After Tithing Settlement had started, out stake realigned the boundaries of a few wards and created a new ward. According to policy, I provided the new ward's clerk with the tithing settlement statements for all the affected members. Do I need to do anything special with the Tax statements?
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

LVAllen wrote:After Tithing Settlement had started, out stake realigned the boundaries of a few wards and created a new ward. According to policy, I provided the new ward's clerk with the tithing settlement statements for all the affected members. Do I need to do anything special with the Tax statements?
Do the same thing. When you print them out in January, give them to the new clerks to provide to all the affected members.

And remember that the actual tithing declaration will be recorded in the ward that winds up with the membership record on December 31st.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

lajackson wrote:Do the same thing. When you print them out in January, give them to the new clerks to provide to all the affected members.
That's one option. Or you can follow the standard procedure for all members who made donations to your ward during the year, but are no longer in your ward as of December 31: mail the statements to them. Either way could work.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

Alan_Brown wrote:That's one option. Or you can follow the standard procedure for all members who made donations to your ward during the year, but are no longer in your ward as of December 31: mail the statements to them. Either way could work.
Very true. Being in frugal clerk mode, since it was a ward division and most folks will still be in the area, I would personally opt for giving them to the new ward clerk, and letting the new ward mail them out if they can't give them away. [grin]

If there were a lot of them, that is. If there are only a few, I would mail them as would normally happen.

[Humor Alert]
There is also travel time and distance to consider. It is one thing to travel to the clerk's office on the other side of the building. But, if the new ward is meeting somewhere else, another building a few blocks away, for example, I say on with the stamps. (Ho ho humbug from the guy who travels 65 miles to stake meetings each week.)
[/humor alert]

Seriously, I hope everyone has a wonderful wonderful holiday season this year.
mfmohlma

Post by mfmohlma »

lajackson wrote:Do the same thing. When you print them out in January, give them to the new clerks to provide to all the affected members.

And remember that the actual tithing declaration will be recorded in the ward that winds up with the membership record on December 31st.

You are right, instructions are provided in the MLS Financial Supplement, page 16.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”