New Family Search and foreign languages

Discussions around Genealogy technology.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

New Family Search and foreign languages

Post by russellhltn »

A problem has come to my attention and I'm wondering what the plan for dealing with this will be.

Here's the issue: The New Family Search will make use of the Unique ID placed in the GEDCOM files by programs such as PAF5 to simplify the update by upload process. However PAF5 doesn't support Spanish speaking users. They end up using PAF4 which does not support the Unique ID.

I realize PAF5 will not be updated, but can or will PAF5's language ability be expanded? Is that something a 3rd party can do?

Or, is this is issue one that is expected to be addressed by commercial vendors? I know other commercial programs will support Unique ID, but I haven't positively identified any that support Spanish speaking users.

I think this same problem affects other language too, but Spanish is the largest user base.
HaleDN
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by HaleDN »

RussellHltn wrote:I realize PAF5 will not be updated, but can or will PAF5's language ability be expanded? Is that something a 3rd party can do?
From what I understand, any additional functionality to PAF5 will need to be supplied by 3rd parties. This is already being done by Ohana Software with PAF Insight which requires an existing PAF installation, but runs against the same database.
nbflint

Post by nbflint »

RussellHltn wrote: I know other commercial programs will support Unique ID, but I haven't positively identified any that support Spanish speaking users.
phpGedView supports many many languages, including Spanish, and the Unique ID. It's a bit intense for non techies to install locally but would be a valid go between for getting your PAF4 file into the new family search system.

russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

haledn wrote:any additional functionality to PAF5 will need to be supplied by 3rd parties.
Understood, but is supporting another language "adding functionality" and is it even possible for 3rd parties to do? PAFI is a add-on. I don't think a language pack is.
ClarkeGJ

PAF ADD-IN SDK Availability

Post by ClarkeGJ »

Please send a request to clarkegj@ldschurch.org to request the ADD-IN SDK for PAF. Some developers have used this to accomodate language issues.
Gordon Clarke
FamilySearch DevNet manager
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Ask a question, get the job. :D

Thanks. I'll see what can be done with this.
thedqs
Community Moderators

Post by thedqs »

Don't forget that if you want or need help I am sure you can place it in a repository and have others help.
- David
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Oh, I won't forget! I'm too lazy to forget that detail. :D

At this point I'm trying to see what's possible.
thedqs
Community Moderators

Post by thedqs »

RussellHltn wrote:I'm too lazy to forget that detail.

Lazy? I think it is more of trying to rally the entire LDS tech community in a single cause.
:D
- David

Return to “Family History”