Missionary and Ward Missionary category messed up

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
carlsond-p40

Missionary and Ward Missionary category messed up

Post by carlsond-p40 »

I was just called as the ward finance clerk, and I've been trying to clean up some things that have not been right for some time. We have two categories (Missionary & Ward Missionary) that really should be merged. It looks like back in 2006 and 2007 a previous clerk had been debiting the Missionary category everytime SLC would pull money for a missionary. No credits were ever put into this category. From what I can tell, all the credit's were going into the Ward Missionary category. Since 2008, it looks like all debits and credits starting going into the Ward Missionary Catagory, which I'm pretty sure is correct. The problem we have now is that there is a huge debit on the Missionary category and a huge surplus on the Ward Missionary category.

What makes things worse, is they were not previously doing sub categories for each missionary anytime thier parents would make a donation. I come to find out that we have a missionary in the field since may or april of 2009 and SLC hasn't started pulling money out. If I calculate everything out (Ward Missionary Surplus - Missionary debit - How much SLC should've pulled out by now for the missionary out in the field), we would be negative, which I don't think is good.

Anyway, any help with this would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

-Dan
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

carlsond wrote:We have two categories (Missionary & Ward Missionary) that really should be merged.

The Missionary category is the ward missionary fund from the old FIS days. It can be transferred to the Ward Missionary category. There is a post detailing this, but I cannot come up with the correct search terms to find it.

I also thought I read that a future tweak to MLS was going to merge these two categories automatically, but I do not remember the details of that either, nor do I know it it has happened yet.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

lajackson wrote:The Missionary category is the ward missionary fund from the old FIS days. It can be transferred to the Ward Missionary category. There is a post detailing this, but I cannot come up with the correct search terms to find it.
I believe you are referring to this post.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

Yes. Precisely the one. Thanks.

I will keep practicing my search terms and see if I can actually find it on my own. [grin]
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

lajackson wrote:I also thought I read that a future tweak to MLS was going to merge these two categories automatically, but I do not remember the details of that either, nor do I know it it has happened yet.
It took a while longer, but I found this post as well. Interestingly, it refers to this merging occurring with MLS 3.1, which has now been released.

I don't have any units in my stake with a balance in "Missionary" (as opposed to "Ward Missionary"), so I can't check this out, but if anyone had this situation prior to the upgrade to MLS 3.1, it might be nice to check into whether these categories have indeed been automatically merged (and report back on the forum, of course :)).
carlsond-p40

Post by carlsond-p40 »

Thanks for the responses. Our MLS was updated to 3.1 a little over a week ago and these categories did not merge, but I'll give the manual method a try.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”