Member in one unit shows up in another unit's household

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
jwtaber

Member in one unit shows up in another unit's household

Post by jwtaber »

At least that's the best way I can explain the situation. For whatever reason - at least from my perspective from my stake's MLS - there are a couple of members of Ward A who show up as being part of households in Ward B.

The individual records in MLS show them in Ward A, but I click to see their households, the household record is in Ward B, and contains another Ward B individual. When I print off a Directory of Members for each ward, the affected members don't appear on Ward A's list, but do appear on Ward B's list. (And there's an "A" in the ward column for them.)

Is this a bug at the ward level? Or is it something Salt Lake can fix? I've tried sending them a few messages through MLS but they don't seem to understand the problem.

John Taber
Assistant Stake Clerk (Membership, Geography)
Wilmington Delaware Stake
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

JTaber wrote:Is this a bug at the ward level? Or is it something Salt Lake can fix? I've tried sending them a few messages through MLS but they don't seem to understand the problem.
I've experienced a few odd membership linkage issues at the stake level (but nothing as odd as what you describe). In most cases, everything looked fine at the ward level, and it was simply a problem at the stake level. In this case, it's tough to imagine that either ward could be doing something wrong that would cause a linkage between the two wards' members to happen in stake MLS.

Usually, doing a unit data refresh fixes the error. I'd suggest that you try that first. My guess is that a refresh will fix the problem, but if not, you might need to work with Local Unit Support and have them pull your stake database so that the MLS development team can fix the database.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

Alan_Brown wrote:Usually, doing a unit data refresh fixes the error. I'd suggest that you try that first. My guess is that a refresh will fix the problem, but if not, you might need to work with Local Unit Support and have them pull your stake database so that the MLS development team can fix the database.

At one time, MLS was using two different data tables for Head of Household, depending on the function you were performing. And they did not always sync up correctly. (This might no longer be the case.)

If you can provide specifics to the MLS development team, I am sure they will want to look into it and see if they can sort it out.

Do try the refresh first. And if it works, that may be the way they are dealing with this anomaly.

I have not yet had cross-ward mixups, but I have had inter-ward ones. We discovered it when the stake MLS had different information than the ward MLS, but it was still within the ward itself, and not across multiple wards.
jwtaber

Post by jwtaber »

I've requested the data refresh. Hopefully this will be fixed soon.

Return to “Membership Help”