Standard Callings

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
zaneclark

Standard Callings

Post by zaneclark »

I just opened the Ward Callings list on the Clerk Wiki but I think I remember seeing some discussion about this such as the RS not using Education Counselor any longer. Is there a current list of standard position names that I could check? There might be something on the MLS but I was hoping to find something in this forum. I am a new membership clerk as well as the web administrator and would like to get the names of callings correct.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

zaneclark wrote:I just opened the Ward Callings list on the Clerk Wiki but I think I remember seeing some discussion about this such as the RS not using Education Counselor any longer. Is there a current list of standard position names that I could check? There might be something on the MLS but I was hoping to find something in this forum. I am a new membership clerk as well as the web administrator and would like to get the names of callings correct.
Just use MLS. Anywhere that you need to select a calling, a selection list of the standard callings will be presented to you. As MLS may change the names of callings over time, I would not recommend that you rely on any external list on the wiki or anywhere else.

The term "Relief Society Education Counselor" is still the correct MLS term. As long as you have used the standard calling, if that title ever changes, the callings will be changed automatically for you. But if you have used a custom calling, you will be on your own (plus create other problems, such as breaking the Officers Sustained List and the Stake's Ward Leadership list). So just use the standard callings as presented to you in the selection lists in MLS and you'll be fine.
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

zaneclark wrote:I just opened the Ward Callings list on the Clerk Wiki but I think I remember seeing some discussion about this such as the RS not using Education Counselor any longer. Is there a current list of standard position names that I could check?
Follow Alan_Brown's advice. If you are confused, the standard callings are the ones marked with a star. The name of the RS 2nd counselor has not yet updated to reflect the changes mentioned in the recent RS broadcast, but as long as you use the standard calling, if it changes, you shouldn't have to do anything for it to reflect in your system. The same applies for the LUWS.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

crislapi wrote:The name of the RS 2nd counselor has not yet updated to reflect the changes mentioned in the recent RS broadcast, . . .

If our 1st counselor is the Homemaking counselor, and the 2nd counselor is the Education counselor, do we need to reverse the names in MLS so that the list of officers sustained will print correctly for ward conference?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

lajackson wrote:If our 1st counselor is the Homemaking counselor, and the 2nd counselor is the Education counselor, do we need to reverse the names in MLS so that the list of officers sustained will print correctly for ward conference?
That's correct (or you can just print out the Officers Sustained form and then hand write the correct counselor positions, but that is rather hokey).

Of course, that weirdness is one more reason I wish the RS standard callings would just be the simple 1st and 2nd counselor titles used everywhere else. I reported this during the beta of MLS 3.0.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

Alan_Brown wrote:Of course, that weirdness is one more reason I wish the RS standard callings would just be the simple 1st and 2nd counselor titles used everywhere else. I reported this during the beta of MLS 3.0.
Officially, they have always been 1st and 2nd counselors. Some things just take 20 or 30 years to filter down to the general membership. [grin]
greggo

Post by greggo »

crislapi wrote:The name of the RS 2nd counselor has not yet updated to reflect the changes mentioned in the recent RS broadcast

I'm repeating myself, but the yet to be realized update has nothing to do with any changes mentioned in the recent RS broadcast. Officially, the RS counselors have always been officially titled 1st and 2nd counselors.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

Alan_Brown wrote:I wish the RS standard callings would just be the simple 1st and 2nd counselor titles used everywhere else. I reported this during the beta of MLS 3.0.
In MLS 3.1.2 the standard callings for the RS presidency are now:
  • Relief Society President
  • Relief Society First Counselor
  • Relief Society Second Counselor
  • Relief Society Secretary
Hooray for simplicity! If you used the previous standard callings, the Education Counselor will automatically be renamed to be First Counselor, and the Home, Family, and Personal Enrichment Counselor (boy, that was a mouthful) will be renamed to be Second Counselor.

Return to “Membership Help”