Devotional WMV stream very unstable

Discussions around receiving conferences and broadcasts for the meetinghouse via Internet.
rmrichesjr
Community Moderators

Devotional WMV stream very unstable

Post by rmrichesjr »

Did anyone else find the WMV video stream of the 2009 Christmas Devotional to be very unstable? I had streamed whole conference sessions last April and October without significant problems. I had streamed several minutes of the test feed without problems. Then, this evening, the stream bombed out over 21 times in the first 15 minutes. With a shell script loop to automatically restart the player, it bombed out 71 times over the next 54 minutes.

I would expect the head-end infrastructure would would have measured how many streams each server can handle and would manage streams per server accordingly, rejecting additional clients or forming an "all circuits busy" waiting list if necessary. I was very disappointed that the stream stability would be so poor. I know of a software engineer with the skills to push an enormous number of video streams per server. To whom should I introduce him?

(Yes, I know there are other ways to watch the devotional. I would love to use the Move player if Move Networks would make the player available for Linux. I would be running the downlink at my local meetinghouse if the building weren't in the middle of a remodel. The stake center would be an option if not for an elders quorum presidency meeting, a 30+ minute drive home, fast Sunday supper, and another 22+ minute drive, all in the 60 minutes between the end of my ward's meeting block and the start of the broadcast.)
siristreng-p40

Post by siristreng-p40 »

I didn't even see a link to the wmv link on the Christmas devotional broadcast page. Where did you find the link?
rmrichesjr
Community Moderators

Post by rmrichesjr »

siristreng wrote:I didn't even see a link to the wmv link on the Christmas devotional broadcast page. Where did you find the link?
The link was in a section called something like "Additional Video Streams" that was between the sections titled "Video Streams - NEW Media Player" and "Audio Streams". That section has been in place for many broadcasts since at least the advent of the Move Networks player. It was in place at the start of the devotional. It is no longer on the page, as of the day after the devotional.
skiptaylor

Post by skiptaylor »

If you go here it seems to work, albeit slow on my computer. Has audio and video streams.

http://www.lds.org/broadcast/christmas/ ... 01,00.html

Return to “Receiving Internet Broadcasts”