"Reseting" User Accounts for LUWS

Share discussions around the Classic Local Unit Website (LUWS).
jworkin-p40

"Reseting" User Accounts for LUWS

Post by jworkin-p40 »

A few times I've been approached by members of the ward who are not able to successfully login to their account on the Ward Website. They receive a message saying basically to contact their ward website adminstrator to have their account reset. As an administrator, nowhere do I see this option and nowhere in all the available FAQs or Help topics does it arise.

I've been able to fix at least one person's problem by disabling their account, saving, then re-enabling their account, and re-saving. Is this the recommended method? It surprises me that something in the system tells users to ask the admin to do something that is no documented for the admin, or even hinted at in the adminstrator options.

Am I doing this correctly? Is there a better way?
danpass

Post by danpass »

The 2 login issues that seem to occur most often are:

1. They have forgotten their password. In this case, instruct them to go to the sign in page, enter their user name and then click on the "Forgot your password?" link. They will be asked to enter their membership number and confirmation date. Then they will be able to reset their password.

2. They have forgotten their user name. Here is where you will need to help them. Go to your administrator page and look under "Registered Users" for their user name. Give the user this information and instruct them with regard to number 1 above, if necessary.
bhofmann

Post by bhofmann »

If you need to change the username or password, you'll need to contact Salt Lake.
danpass

Post by danpass »

One of my annual duties in our stake is to publish a printed stake directory. Every year I have included a reference page at the end of the directory which contains instructions for accessing the LUWS. These instructions are in the attached file, in case they might be of use to someone.
LUWS Instructions.doc
(27 KiB) Downloaded 258 times
It's nice to be able to point people in the stake to this information when they ask how to get on the LUWS or ask to have their password reset.
bhofmann

Post by bhofmann »

Thanks for the document, that has great instructions. I was incorrect in my earlier post. I was thinking about username but said username and password. As the document points out, users can change their own password.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

The web admin can look up the user name. Go to the ward/branch web page the user belongs to. Go into Admin mode and click on "Registered Users" on the left hand side. (It's second from the bottom.)
jworkin-p40

Thanks for all the help

Post by jworkin-p40 »

I think that simple sheet of instructions is great, and I'll consider giving it out to many a person.
chrissv

It's even easier...

Post by chrissv »

My wife forgot her login ID, and the Ward clerk couldn't help her. On a lark, she went to the new sign up page, entered in her membership number (from the clerk), and it said, "Oh, you are already registerred as XYZZY" where XYZZY was what she had used to sign up last time. So the system appears to be able to tell you your forgotten ID if you have the right signup information.

-- Steven
jworkin-p40

Post by jworkin-p40 »

I've discovered that are occasions where a user will attempt to login too many times with an incorrect password that will result in the system telling them that they need to have their accounts reset, in which case the only solution I've seen is to disable the account and then re-enable it.
thedqs
Community Moderators

Post by thedqs »

jworkin wrote:In which case the only solution I've seen is to disable the account and then re-enable it.

How do you disable it and re-enable? Does the member have to re-register or do you have to talk with SLC?
- David

Return to “Classic Ward & Stake Sites (LUWS)”