New MLS Send/Receive is the DREAM

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
dstaheli-p40

New MLS Send/Receive is the DREAM

Post by dstaheli-p40 »

Thank you so much for the new send/receive functionality in MLS. As a ward clerk, this improvement is a DREAM to me! I joke that many-a-ward clerk has missed Sunday dinner waiting for Afaria to finish. Now if I blink, I miss it.

A few problems I still notice in the latest MLS (12/2/09):
1. Some dialog windows still do not disappear (their underlying window does not invalidate) after Close is clicked. One I saw last night was the Add Geocode window.

2. Sometimes when I go through the "Members with Callings" screen, open a calling to which a person is assigned, and change the calling from "not set apart" to "set apart" and click Close, the cursor is a constant hourglass and the change never gets saved. I can reopen the window to see that it has not been saved. Alternatively, if instead of doing this through the "Members with Callings" screen I instead do it through the "Callings by Organization" screen, it seems to work fine.
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

dstaheli wrote:Thank you so much for the new send/receive functionality in MLS. As a ward clerk, this improvement is a DREAM to me! I joke that many-a-ward clerk has missed Sunday dinner waiting for Afaria to finish.
Sorry, I'm no help on your 2 suggestions, but wanted to follow up on your comment about the new send/receive. Not only is it fast, but today I noticed that it no longer locks up MLS either. While it is transmitting, you can navigate around in MLS and work on something else. How genious is that? Unfortunately, the new send/receive is so quick that you don't really need it!
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

crislapi wrote:. . . the new send/receive is so quick that you don't really need it!

I suspect that there is a need to be careful here. I can envision the next call I get will be from a clerk who finishes his work while MLS is doing a send/receive, and then tries to shut down MLS before the actual S/R finishes.

I hope there is something that will hold MLS open if someone tries to close it during a S/R. I suspect there is, but I do not plan to test it myself.

The status line at the bottom of the MLS screen is very helpful. And I notice that the reports and record changes come through first. It really is nice to be able to print and process them while the S/R finishes.

My hat is off to the developer/programmer who made this possible. Thanks.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

lajackson wrote:I hope there is something that will hold MLS open if someone tries to close it during a S/R. I suspect there is, but I do not plan to test it myself.
I work with a commercial software package that will stop a "shutdown" or "logoff" unless you shut it down first. Not sure how they did that. Part of it is that it triggers a popup window with a error message.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
dwterry-p40

Post by dwterry-p40 »

lajackson wrote:I hope there is something that will hold MLS open if someone tries to close it during a S/R. I suspect there is, but I do not plan to test it myself.
The new file transfer mechanism is very forgiving. If you, as a clerk, really need to shut down and go home to be with your family ... do it! The next time MLS does a send/receive it will pick up the file transfer where it left off - all while STILL managing to process higher priority items such as membership and finance updates ahead of software updates.

The desire is to help the clerk get his work done in a timely fashion and let him go home.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

dwterry wrote:The new file transfer mechanism is very forgiving. If you, as a clerk, really need to shut down and go home to be with your family ... do it! The next time MLS does a send/receive it will pick up the file transfer where it left off - all while STILL managing to process higher priority items such as membership and finance updates ahead of software updates.

The desire is to help the clerk get his work done in a timely fashion and let him go home.
Thanks for that clarification.

Given how much faster S/R is in MLS 3.1, I doubt that I'll ever need to use it, but that's a great implementation. Prior to 3.1, one of the great frustrations was that you didn't dare stop a long transmission (and you didn't know just how long it might be), so you felt trapped. Now if it ever happens that I need to leave in the middle of a transmission, I'll know that I can do so with no harm.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

Now if they can only get some form of this new Send/Receive function working for the test data. :(
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

Mikerowaved wrote:Now if they can only get some form of this new Send/Receive function working for the test data. :(
I completely agree with this request, as I noted in the thread MLS 3.1 with test data. MLS 3.1 unfortunately took a big step backwards in this area.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”