Install disc images

Discussions around the setup, operation, replacement, and disposal of clerk computers, not to include using MLS
silid

Install disc images

Post by silid »

Hi all

I've looked and looked but cannot find anyone who has successfully found a place to download install disc images for either clerk computers or FHC computers.

We have just received a new computer for the FHC and it has the latest FHC install on it. We are awaiting two more computers purchased from local funds through the local FHC support office but they tell us that these are coming direct from Dell and will have the previous install image on it. The first computer came via a third party that installed the latest images.

As these computers are being replaced together I'd rather have them all installed with the same image as they go in to place. However I'm told that the local FHC support office don't have the latest install disc as they haven't yet received it from Salt Lake. Apparently the third party got their copy from 'the internet'.

I cannot believe that the best way for distributing these discs is via the postal service. Is there really nowhere on any church support site that I can download the latest image for the FHC computers?

Si.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Yes, the best way to get the "image" is via the postal service. I'm not sure what country you are in since it's not in your profile. I'm confused by the term "local FHC support office" as I'm not aware of any such thing in the United States.

In the past I've called the Family History Center support office in SLC and asked them to mail me the DVD.

Since the "image" is a fully functional version of Windows XP, I can understand why it's not available as a download. The infrastructure to assure that it's only available to the right people simply isn't in place. The church isn't going to make it public. They would most certainly get sued by Microsoft.

I put image in quotes because the current version isn't a image, but a full install with add-ons. That allows it work with a greater range of hardware.

Note that the administrative and FHC computers are handled by two different departments with separate IT groups. Unless explicitly told otherwise, I would not use resourced intended for one on the other.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

As Rusell mentioned it is important to know whether you are in the US/Canada or in another part of the world since the Family History Support Office for your area may operate differently than for the US and Canada. The information I will provide is valid only for the US and Canada.
silid wrote:I've looked and looked but cannot find anyone who has successfully found a place to download install disc images for either clerk computers or FHC computers.
The latest image disk is only available from the Family History Support Office. The last time I requested the image it was provided on a single DVD and was dated Aug 2008 (I do not know if there is a later version). Previous versions on CD are no longer available. This DVD is sent through the mail. Contact the support desk at 1-866-406-1830 or by e-mail at support@familysearch.org to request the image DVD.
silid wrote:We have just received a new computer for the FHC and it has the latest FHC install on it. We are awaiting two more computers purchased from local funds through the local FHC support office but they tell us that these are coming direct from Dell and will have the previous install image on it. The first computer came via a third party that installed the latest images.
Which image version should not be a concern since the important part of the image is the operating system. All other programs necessary for a family history center computer are installed through the LANDesk Manager's software deployment portal. The latest version of LANDesk should be installed before attempting to use the software deployment portal. It is available at the web site http://remote.familysearch.org.

So if you do have an older FHC image installation on a computer just install the latest LANDesk version as described above and then use the software deployment portal to install any other necessary programs. You may also want to get the latest updates for the operating system even if you have the latest FHC image installation.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
silid

Post by silid »

Thanks for your replies. I am based in the UK. By local support office I was referring to the one in the UK rather than in Salt Lake.

I know that there has been a new build this year, but the local support office doesn't yet have the discs. It seems that in the UK the only people with a copy of it are the third party that install them on the machines from dell.

I know that in the end it probably won't make any real difference and that all updates come via LANDesk, but as these machines are all new I'd just rather have them all be the same spec and the latest spec in every way to ease support.

What surprises/frustrates me the most is that an organisation the size of the church can't have the infrastructure in place to distribute information and resources securely to it's support staff (STSs).

This tech forum is a good resource and I am grateful for what has been put in the Wiki, but an official comprehensive resource would/should be great. In my opinion a secure website offers more security than putting a DVD in the post.
faazshift

Post by faazshift »

RussellHltn wrote:Since the "image" is a fully functional version of Windows XP, I can understand why it's not available as a download. The infrastructure to assure that it's only available to the right people simply isn't in place. The church isn't going to make it public. They would most certainly get sued by Microsoft.
silid wrote:In my opinion a secure website offers more security than putting a DVD in the post.
Which is exactly why I've always preferred linux and open source. But I know the church does not (yet) officially support these. Maybe one day though?!
silid

Post by silid »

Well I have heard back from FamilySearch support and they instruct me to complete and order form and send it to my area support office.

So I guess the answer is that there is no way to get the install disc electronically.

Ach well.

Return to “Clerk Computers”