What Church websites use LDS Account credentials?

Church Account is the primary user account (user name and password) for accessing online Church resources. Church Account was formerly known as LDS Account. This forum is a space to discuss all things related to Church Accounts (registration, account recovery, user experience, vulnerabilities, etc.).
jdlessley
Community Moderators

What Church websites use LDS Account credentials?

Post by jdlessley »

Do we have a list of sites currently using LDS Account credentials for logon? I was asked this when promoting the switchover to LDS Account for the LUWS. I was unable to answer.

A second related question is, do we have a list of sites that are planned to migrate to using LDS Account for logon credentials? Is there any kind of planned schedule for this?

And finally, what Church sites requiring logon credentials will not migrate to LDS Account and why?
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

jdlessley wrote:Do we have a list of sites currently using LDS Account credentials for logon? I was asked this when promoting the switchover to LDS Account for the LUWS. I was unable to answer.

A second related question is, do we have a list of sites that are planned to migrate to using LDS Account for logon credentials? Is there any kind of planned schedule for this?

And finally, what Church sites requiring logon credentials will not migrate to LDS Account and why?
The last two questions would require inside knowledge, which I don't have. But the Church Websites article on the wiki has a pretty comprehensive list of sites (at least the public ones) that use LDS Account.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

Finding the wiki page you linked to was a real challenge. Had you not provided the link and mentioned that that page existed I would not have found it otherwise since it is buried with no clues that it exists.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

jdlessley wrote:Finding the wiki page you linked to was a real challenge. Had you not provided the link and mentioned that that page existed I would not have found it otherwise since it is buried with no clues that it exists.
I'm not sure how you tried to find it, but the most straightforward way to find it would be:
  • Search on LDS Account.
  • Since there is an article with that title, you go straight to the article.
  • If you search on an alternate spelling (such as "lds account") the article will be the first search result, that you can click on to go to the LDS Account article.
  • On that article is a "See Also" link to the Church Websites page (and the link says that it is a list of sites using LDS Account)
If someone is not familiar with a wiki and was hoping that they could navigate to it from the main page, they might be disappointed. But good luck finding almost anything on Wikipedia that way!

I would be interested in hearing how you tried to find it, so that we can try to improve the navigation of the wiki. The content there won't be very useful if people have a hard time finding it.

EDIT: I just saw that you were the one who added the wiki link from LDS Account to Church Websites last night, so it probably wasn't so easy the first time. That little improvement makes a big difference -- thanks for adding it! I also added a link from the Login Credentials page. I still would be interested in hearing how you tried to find it the first time.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

Alan_Brown wrote:I still would be interested in hearing how you tried to find it the first time.
The first time I tried to find if there was anything that connected LDS Account to Church websites was this:
1. Viewed the wiki home page for titles that would appear to contain information related to LDS Account.
2. Tried the Local Unit Website link and scrolled through most of the page but decided it was not where I needed to look and went back to the home page. (If I had gone to the bottom of the page and clicked the Websites link in the Resources section I would have been closer but that did not occur to me then.)
3. Tried a wiki search for LDS Account. This took me to the LDS Account page but it had nothing related to the websites using the LDS Account credentials.
4. By now I was thinking that I didn't want to waste any more time searching and decided someone on the forums would have the answer or could point me to where the information was.

I did not want to use a lot of time going through each category listed on the main page since my only thought to key words for the search was LDS Account. I realized after following your link that if I had been more persistant and gone to the websites subcategory and then to the Church Websites page I would have found the information. But in retrospect That is more burrowing than necessary so I decided to edit the LDS Account page to include the 'See Also' section for others looking for the same information.
JD Lessley
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

jdlessley wrote:The first time I tried to find if there was anything that connected LDS Account to Church websites was this:
But in retrospect that is more burrowing than necessary so I decided to edit the LDS Account page to include the 'See Also' section for others looking for the same information.
Thanks for the feedback. One difficulty in searching for "LDS Account" is that it is referenced in so many articles that it's tough to find the one you want.

There was already a link to "Church websites" in the "LDS Account" article, but it was in the body of the text, and thus a bit harder to notice. With the "See Also" link it is much more prominent, and that's probably as good a solution as I can come up with right now.
jamiecking76
Location: North Augusta, SC, United States (North Augusta Ward)

Post by jamiecking76 »

One follow up question to this....

I noticed that when I was prompted to "migrate" my ward website and FamilySearch acct...into one...and later when I changed the password under the ward website...for some reason, it didn't change the password for the familysearch website...how come is that?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

n.augusta.wardtech wrote:I noticed that when I was prompted to "migrate" my ward website and FamilySearch acct...into one
Uh, I never seen that. Yes, the LUWS account moved from NetID to LDS Account. And yes, FamilySearch spawned a new FamilySearch with a different login from the old one. But I've never seen a connection between the LUWS and FS/nFS. They've always been separate from each other.

However, there have been other church sites that moved to LDS Account. Are you sure you're not thinking of something else and not FamilySearch?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jamiecking76
Location: North Augusta, SC, United States (North Augusta Ward)

Post by jamiecking76 »

RussellHltn wrote:Uh, I never seen that. Yes, the LUWS account moved from NetID to LDS Account. And yes, FamilySearch spawned a new FamilySearch with a different login from the old one. But I've never seen a connection between the LUWS and FS/nFS. They've always been separate from each other.

However, there have been other church sites that moved to LDS Account. Are you sure you're not thinking of something else and not FamilySearch?
Well, I was under the impression that all the lds sites were supposed to be LDS Account. Maybe I was mistaken???:confused:

Jamie
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

n.augusta.wardtech wrote:I was under the impression that all the lds sites were supposed to be LDS Account.
I think that's the goal, but they're a ways away from that.

You can see the list of Church websites and their authentication here.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Church Account”