Blessing of Child Info

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
kalnius

Blessing of Child Info

Post by kalnius »

I recently entered the information for the blessing of a child into MLS and after it was completed I found a few errors. I find now that I can't edit these. Here's what I'm talkng about:

1. MLS made the baby the head of the household. This is a part-member family with the father the non-member.

2. Under the "ordinances" section of this record under accountability, it has "yes." The child is under one year of age.

I can't seem to change these things. Does anyone know what to do?

Thanks,

Oz
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

Ozzy wrote:1. MLS made the baby the head of the household. This is a part-member family with the father the non-member.
Go to the father's record, and in the Household Members section, click Add Member. Find the baby, and add the child to the household.
Ozzy wrote:2. Under the "ordinances" section of this record under accountability, it has "yes." The child is under one year of age.
That is how it should be. If you look at any other children under 8 (or just about any member, for that matter), you'll see that they also have Accountable set to Yes. Only in special circumstances where a person is over 8 but is not baptized because they are not accountable will you see a No in this field.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Alan_Brown wrote:Go to the father's record, and in the Household Members section, click Add Member. Find the baby, and add the child to the household.
You mean go to the HoH, right? Since the father is non-member, he may not have a record in MLS.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

RussellHltn wrote:You mean go to the HoH, right? Since the father is non-member, he may not have a record in MLS.
I assumed the father would be in the household, but that is not necessarily true. Thanks for the clarification -- you would indeed go to the Head of Household's record, whoever that may be, and then do Add Member.
kalnius

Post by kalnius »

Alan_Brown wrote:I assumed the father would be in the household, but that is not necessarily true. Thanks for the clarification -- you would indeed go to the Head of Household's record, whoever that may be, and then do Add Member.

Thanks. Yes, the father, in this case, has no MLS record, but the mother does and has a membership record in our ward. However, the father does come up as the father of the child under the child's membership record that was created when I inputed the blessing info into MLS initially.

This is strange. I find that when I bring up the child's mother in MLS, under household members under her MLS record, her child is still listed as head of household and she is a household member. I can't find any edits for this. The child has a different surname than the mother, and that surname is listed as the head of house name.

So, summary: Looking at the member record for the mother of the child, under household members the screen has 3 sections, household name, head of household and household members. The only edit I can make is to add a household member. Under the household member section there are listed the child who was blessed (as house head) his mother and a sibling. I hope this is making sense. Am I in the right section to edit? Any ideas?
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

Ozzy wrote:This is strange. I find that when I bring up the child's mother in MLS, under household members under her MLS record, her child is still listed as head of household and she is a household member. I can't find any edits for this. The child has a different surname than the mother, and that surname is listed as the head of house name.

So, summary: Looking at the member record for the mother of the child, under household members the screen has 3 sections, household name, head of household and household members. The only edit I can make is to add a household member. Under the household member section there are listed the child who was blessed (as house head) his mother and a sibling. I hope this is making sense. Am I in the right section to edit? Any ideas?
It looks like the edit for the household will have to be done in at the Household Record. Go to Membership > Household Record and open the household record. I assume from what you have said that the record will be the surname of the child. Remove the mother from the list of members of the household and at the Household Member Destination pop-up select "Make a new household, and assign the member as head." Be sure to fill in the contact information and address information for the new household for the mother. You should now have two households - one with the child and one with the mother. Open the household record for the mother and add the child in the household members section. There will now be one household with the mother as head.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

jdlessley wrote:Remove the mother from the list of members of the household...
A simpler way is to go to the Household Record and remove the baby from the household (choose the default "Make a new household, and assign the member as head"). That will automatically make the mother the new HoH, and preserve all the contact information for the household. Then you can add the baby as a member of the household.
kalnius

Thanks JD and Alan

Post by kalnius »

Thanks JD and Alan. Your suggestions worked and I have the child's mother as head of household now. :)

Return to “Membership Help”