LCD TV glasses for hearing impaired

So you have the BIG idea that the Church or community needs to develop. Discuss that idea here. Maybe you just want to make a suggestion on a new forum topic. Let us know.
big2thumbs-p40

LCD TV glasses for hearing impaired

Post by big2thumbs-p40 »

The Church is has always been mindful of the hearing impaired by providing ASL monitors and IR/RF personal audio receivers (for those with reduced hearing).
I'm not hearing impaired and find the ASL monitors at the Legacy theatre and Conference Center etc distracting to the program. My guess is that they are not optimum for the hearing impaired as well.

I think the Church ought to use personal LCD glasses that are translucent which would show an ASL translator in the glasses while watching the desired program through the glasses.
I was at the SID trade show recently and found a few glasses that would work great for this. One that would work great is Lumus. I tried it out and was impressed with the resolution and infinite focal length.
http://www.lumusvision.com/
This solution would greatly benefit the hearing impaired users by having the ASL translator directly in front field of view all the time where ever the viewer's head is turned, allowing them to view any part of the program without missing the translator. It would also eliminate the distraction to the rest of us by removing the large ASL translator monitors.
jamiecking76
Location: North Augusta, SC, United States (North Augusta Ward)

Post by jamiecking76 »

big2thumbs wrote:The Church is has always been mindful of the hearing impaired by providing ASL monitors and IR/RF personal audio receivers (for those with reduced hearing).
I'm not hearing impaired and find the ASL monitors at the Legacy theatre and Conference Center etc distracting to the program. My guess is that they are not optimum for the hearing impaired as well.

I think the Church ought to use personal LCD glasses that are translucent which would show an ASL translator in the glasses while watching the desired program through the glasses.
I was at the SID trade show recently and found a few glasses that would work great for this. One that would work great is Lumus. I tried it out and was impressed with the resolution and infinite focal length.
http://www.lumusvision.com/
This solution would greatly benefit the hearing impaired users by having the ASL translator directly in front field of view all the time where ever the viewer's head is turned, allowing them to view any part of the program without missing the translator. It would also eliminate the distraction to the rest of us by removing the large ASL translator monitors.

You know, that would be really awesome. I am hearing impaired and this would be great. The only problem is, I am not that fluent in ASL. I just wear two hearing aids so if the glasses did closed captioning...that would be better.

Jamie
dennisn

Post by dennisn »

One possible drawback to this is demographics. At least in the US, the baby boomer generation is just starting to enter retirement age. Thus, for the next 15 years or so, the church would need to purchase more and more of these glasses each year, as the need increases. Then, gradually, a surplus would develop that would be hard to get rid of, since they are for such a specialized use.
Just thinking out loud.

Return to “Ideas & Suggestions”