Record sent to the wrong ward

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
slh531977-p40

Record sent to the wrong ward

Post by slh531977-p40 »

I recently sent a member record out of our ward. I knew the new address, so I entered the address. I received confirmation today that the record has been moved, however it was placed in the wrong ward. The new address is a new development, and my guess is that the church does not know about the new addresses that have recently been built.

So, what do I do now, to try to get this record to the correct ward? This is really important as the bishop has asked that the new bishop contact him to discuss some issues.

Any ideas?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

slh531977 wrote:I recently sent a member record out of our ward. I knew the new address, so I entered the address. I received confirmation today that the record has been moved, however it was placed in the wrong ward. The new address is a new development, and my guess is that the church does not know about the new addresses that have recently been built.

So, what do I do now, to try to get this record to the correct ward? This is really important as the bishop has asked that the new bishop contact him to discuss some issues.
If you know the new ward (where the record actually got moved to), you can look up that bishop on the CDOL and you or your bishop can contact that bishop and ask him to move the record to the correct ward.

If you don't know where the record ended up, the bishop can contact Local Unit Support, who will be able to look up where the record is so that your bishop can contact that bishop.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

Alan_Brown wrote:If you know the new ward (where the record actually got moved to), you can look up that bishop on the CDOL and you or your bishop can contact that bishop and ask him to move the record to the correct ward.

If you don't know where the record ended up, the bishop can contact Local Unit Support, who will be able to look up where the record is so that your bishop can contact that bishop.
Another option is to lookup the bishop of the ward where the records should be (using CDOL), contact him (which your bishop wants to do anyway) and have him request the records into their ward.
danpass

Post by danpass »

slh531977 wrote:I recently sent a member record out of our ward. I knew the new address, so I entered the address. I received confirmation today that the record has been moved, however it was placed in the wrong ward. The new address is a new development, and my guess is that the church does not know about the new addresses that have recently been built.

Any ideas?
I would suggest that you request the record back to your ward, obtain the unit number of the correct ward and then move the record out again using that unit number for the destination ward. Neither of these requests should require human intervention at HQ and therefore should happen very quickly. Most likely, you could have the member's record in the correct ward within a day or two.
slh531977-p40

Post by slh531977-p40 »

eblood66 wrote:Another option is to lookup the bishop of the ward where the records should be (using CDOL), contact him (which your bishop wants to do anyway) and have him request the records into their ward.

What is the CDOL and how do I use it. Sorry, just got put in a few months ago, so I've never heard of that before.
slh531977-p40

Post by slh531977-p40 »

danpass wrote:I would suggest that you request the record back to your ward, obtain the unit number of the correct ward and then move the record out again using that unit number for the destination ward. Neither of these requests should require human intervention at HQ and therefore should happen very quickly. Most likely, you could have the member's record in the correct ward within a day or two.

How would I obtain the unit number of the ward that she should be in? I know the address but that is all.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

slh531977 wrote:What is the CDOL and how do I use it. Sorry, just got put in a few months ago, so I've never heard of that before.
See the wiki article on the Church Directory of Organizations and Leaders, which explains what it is and how to access it. A ward clerk can access it, but not an assistant ward clerk.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

slh531977 wrote:How would I obtain the unit number of the ward that she should be in? I know the address but that is all.
I would use [url]http://maps.lds.org;[/url] then you can see the assigned congregation and find the unit number using the technique described in the wiki under Alternative for those without access.
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

danpass wrote:I would suggest that you request the record back to your ward, obtain the unit number of the correct ward and then move the record out again using that unit number for the destination ward. Neither of these requests should require human intervention at HQ and therefore should happen very quickly. Most likely, you could have the member's record in the correct ward within a day or two.
While this is a good suggestion, it doesn't in and of itself provide the opportunity for the cause of the problem to be fixed from now on. With some sort of human intervention, either by phone call or MLS message, Church HQ can be notified of the mistaken routing of the membership records.

I recently sent an MLS message to Membership Support in Salt Lake about records not in our boundaries being sent to our ward. They forwarded the details on to the "mapping department" for verification. I haven't seen any misrouted records since then, but I think I need to wait another month or two before I can call it officially fixed.

Return to “Membership Help”