maps.lds.org / ward boundries

Discussions about the Ward Directory and Map tool on churchofjesuschrist.org.
splassle

maps.lds.org / ward boundries

Post by splassle »

I am wondering how the ward boundaries were put into the mapping system to determine if a particular address or geo point is in a certain ward/branch. The reason why I ask is because there is a certain small town that everyone knows is in a certain branch, but if you go and use the place marker to find what unit you goto this town is split up by the two highways that go through it. Our stake is in a very hilly, forested area so some of the boundaries are exact.

And I am wondering also if there would be a way we can help to make sure those locations are all correct.
RossEvans

Post by RossEvans »

splassle wrote: And I am wondering also if there would be a way we can help to make sure those locations are all correct.

I think the best method of reporting an error is via the "Send Feedback" links from within the interface of maps.lds.org. Suspected errors will be investigated, but I don't think you will get any confirmation beyond an auto-reply message when you submit the feedback.
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

splassle wrote:I am wondering how the ward boundaries were put into the mapping system to determine if a particular address or geo point is in a certain ward/branch. The reason why I ask is because there is a certain small town that everyone knows is in a certain branch, but if you go and use the place marker to find what unit you goto this town is split up by the two highways that go through it. Our stake is in a very hilly, forested area so some of the boundaries are exact.

And I am wondering also if there would be a way we can help to make sure those locations are all correct.
I've observed that when I put an address into a Google map, which is what's being used, that the location doesn't always come out to be exact. Google works from either an address lookup or a coordinate db. The coordinates would be more accurate if provided correctly. I agree that the first step would be to provide some feedback to see if that would correct it.
splassle

maps.lds.org is right on

Post by splassle »

Techgy wrote:I've observed that when I put an address into a Google map, which is what's being used, that the location doesn't always come out to be exact. Google works from either an address lookup or a coordinate db. The coordinates would be more accurate if provided correctly. I agree that the first step would be to provide some feedback to see if that would correct it.

While actually looking at the official boundary maps for the Stake, maps.lds.org is right on. We are in the process of making a new ward and I do believe some of those weird boundary lines will be taken care of. So however the geo points are gathered, they are fairly accurate and reliable.
Peter.Nenke

Post by Peter.Nenke »

Are the boundary maps available online anywhere?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

Peter.Nenke wrote:Are the boundary maps available online anywhere?

No. You can request maps from CHQ (since you're in Australia, I assume this would actually be from your area's Administration Office). It's possible to get them sent to you in electronic format (assuming you are a clerk or priesthood leader). But they're not openly available online.
Peter.Nenke

Post by Peter.Nenke »

Thanks Alan.

Pete
todrobbins

Post by todrobbins »

http://beta-maps.lds.org

Very cool stuff. You just need your LDS Account to access the resources.
mcallaghan

Post by mcallaghan »

That's a great site. I logged in and it shows where everyone in the branch lives (some are outside the boundary line). Every address shows as "unverified" though. Is that a side-effect of the beta status, or is there a way to verify an address?

Mike
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

mcallaghan wrote:That's a great site. I logged in and it shows where everyone in the branch lives (some are outside the boundary line). Every address shows as "unverified" though. Is that a side-effect of the beta status, or is there a way to verify an address?

Address verification has to be done by a ward/branch clerk or other Bishopric members. Since the beta maps site has not been announced, it is not surprising that the vast majority of units have unverified addresses.

Return to “Ward Directory and Map”