Misprinted Check

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
drbailey05-p40

Misprinted Check

Post by drbailey05-p40 »

I can't seem to find this one in the other posts through a search so forgive me if it is a repeat.

A check (let say #100) was printed upside down so it is no good. "Was the check printed correctly" was checked no, wasn't allowed to change to check number so I closed that window and went back to the print check screen. Clicked on print checks and was allowed to manually change the number to #101 and printed the check correctly. What do I do with the misprinted check. I know I write void on it and keep it in my records. Is there anything else I need to do? I have no option to void this check in MLS. Will SLC know that this check was voided. As far as MLS is concerned there is and will be no record of check #100. In personal checking accounts a little (*) notates a missing check number and in your personal registry VOID is next to the check number. I've never seen this when reconciling in MLS. Maybe I have and I just don't remember. Little help, please.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

You took all the right steps to void the check, now all you need to do is just file it with the other checks. You shouldn't have any issues with it during the reconciliation process.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

drbailey05 wrote:Is there anything else I need to do? I have no option to void this check in MLS. Will SLC know that this check was voided.
As you can read in the wiki under Misprinted checks, there is indeed a record at CHQ of the misprinted check -- it will show up on the Church Unit Financial Statement. But as Mikerowaved said, you have done everything right in this regard, so have no worries.
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

I remember being told to cut out and shred the signature lines by one source, and the signature lines and account number by a second source (of the voided/misprinted check). I don't remember which one I read somewhere and which one I was told by LUS.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”