Membership Records and Reading into Ward

Discuss basic duties of stake and ward clerks, including where to begin.
kalnius

Membership Records and Reading into Ward

Post by kalnius »

Hi All,

I have been called recently as an asststant clerk in charge of membership. Never done this type of calling before, and true-to-form with new callings, there is no training planned and a lot of questions.

My question: When a new membership record comes in to the ward on MLS, I know that I am supposed to print something up for the bishop to read the member's name in over the pulpit on Sunday. What form or document do I print and place in his in-box?

Thanks.

Oz
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

Ozzy wrote:Hi All,

I have been called recently as an asststant clerk in charge of membership. Never done this type of calling before, and true-to-form with new callings, there is no training planned and a lot of questions.

My question: When a new membership record comes in to the ward on MLS, I know that I am supposed to print something up for the bishop to read the member's name in over the pulpit on Sunday. What form or document do I print and place in his in-box?

Thanks.

Oz
Perhaps the Clerk Wiki would be of some assistance.
kalnius

Post by kalnius »

Techgy wrote:Perhaps the Clerk Wiki would be of some assistance.

http://www.lds.org/ldsorg/v/index.jsp?v ... D&locale=0

Thanks Techgy. Your link revealed a possible for me - under "standard reports" there is a "new move-in report" that I will explore.
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

Ozzy wrote:Thanks Techgy. Your link revealed a possible for me - under "standard reports" there is a "new move-in report" that I will explore.
Your welcome. I pointed you to the wiki because I thought it would be helpful overall. If you need anything else, drop another post here.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Training can be found under Record-Keeping and Auditing Training

Teckgy's link to the Wiki doesn't seem to work. Try this one

To answer your question directly, it's really up to you and the Bishop to find a workflow that works. There is a report that is available to print after send/receive when new records are received. You could place that in the Bishop's in-box.

As a side note, if the incoming record has a disciplinary action active on it, it will show up on that report but is otherwise almost completely invisible. As such, you should always at least "Print Preview" if you do not print it.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

Ozzy wrote:Hi All,

Thanks.

Oz
Here's what I do:

When you receive new records, you are given a prompt that says something like "print out copies for the bishop also?" I always click yes and put the copies in his box. The bishopric then uses those printouts to read the names over the pulpit. You could even help them out by highlighting the particular updates that involve new move-ins, so they can visually skip the other membership updates.
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

RussellHltn wrote:Teckgy's link to the Wiki doesn't seem to work. Try this one
I guess Techgy pointed to an LDS.org page that then contains a link that goes to the Wiki.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

mkmurray wrote:...You could even help them out by highlighting the particular updates that involve new move-ins, so they can visually skip the other membership updates.
Ha! I thought I was the only one that did that for my bishop. :)
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
kalnius

Post by kalnius »

RussellHltn wrote:Training can be found under Record-Keeping and Auditing Training

Teckgy's link to the Wiki doesn't seem to work. Try this one

To answer your question directly, it's really up to you and the Bishop to find a workflow that works. There is a report that is available to print after send/receive when new records are received. You could place that in the Bishop's in-box.

As a side note, if the incoming record has a disciplinary action active on it, it will show up on that report but is otherwise almost completely invisible. As such, you should always at least "Print Preview" if you do not print it.

Thanks for this tip.
kalnius

Post by kalnius »

mkmurray wrote:Here's what I do:

When you receive new records, you are given a prompt that says something like "print out copies for the bishop also?" I always click yes and put the copies in his box. The bishopric then uses those printouts to read the names over the pulpit. You could even help them out by highlighting the particular updates that involve new move-ins, so they can visually skip the other membership updates.

I appreciate this. I never realized that the clerk did so much. It looks like the clerk is the only calling in a ward where it is necessary to join a forum. It's like joining a guild or something! WOW!

Return to “Getting Started for New Clerks”