Ward Mission Program

Discussions around miscellaneous technologies and projects for the general membership.
mikengray-p40

Great program!!! And questions.....

Post by mikengray-p40 »

Hi! I was just called as a WML and have been scouring the internet for useful links. The Ward Mission Program looks extremely useful--(Thanks Tom!). I also wanted to see the differences to the online church sponsored site: http://referrals.lds.org/ but it gives me the following error:

Your account is not authorized to use the Referral Manager

Anyone know how I get access to this site??

I can't wait to use the program, regardless! Thanks for all the work! I wish I could help assist with the code maintenance, but alas I'm just a lowly Linux administrator that knows some perl and ksh scripting.... :)

-Mike in AZ
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

mikengray wrote:Hi! I was just called as a WML ...
... the online church sponsored site: http://referrals.lds.org/
The referrals site is a way to get referrals (mostly media referrals) from CHQ to the mission field quickly. The stake presidency used to have to authorize access, and I do not know how that changed when missionary work moved to ward supervision.

I would ask the high councilor over missionary work or the mission office for the current method of gaining access.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

I just did some more checking. Someone in your stake is an admin for the Referral site. He will be the one who can authorize you to access the site.

If the site was being used and your previous ward mission leader was authorized as an admin, he might also be able to add you to the site access list.

It is also possible that your stake is not using the site, and therefore no one has access. But I doubt that is the case.
mjnestor-p40

Post by mjnestor-p40 »

I am a brand-new Ward Mission Leader in my current ward, I was a Ward Mission Leader in my singles branch years ago. I have been a web developer for several years, currently an active duty soldier in the Army but I occasionally freelance still. I have fifteen months left for my BS in Web Development and don't start my Java courses until the Spring, I know pretty much zero Java, but would still be interested in helping where I can...
mjnestor-p40

Post by mjnestor-p40 »

tomw wrote:This web site is dedicated to technology projects so I thought I would share with you one of the projects that I have been working on and ask for your help with it. This program is designed to help ward mission leaders and ward missionaries conduct the missionary work within their wards. It will help them track those people being taught in the ward, track missionary exchanges and meals for the missionaries. It came out of a need I had as a ward mission leader to better organize and conduct the missionary efforts within my ward.

This was my very first big project in Java so I'm sure that there are a lot of things I could do better. I would value any feedback you may have. More importantly, I would value anyone willing to give me a hand to make it better.

You can find out about it here.

Tom
I am a brand-new Ward Mission Leader in my current ward, I was a Ward Mission Leader in my singles branch years ago. I have been a web developer for several years, currently an active duty soldier in the Army but I occasionally freelance still. I have fifteen months left for my BS in Web Development and don't start my Java courses until the Spring, I know pretty much zero Java, but would still be interested in helping where I can..
ktriplet

Help

Post by ktriplet »

I downloaded the Ward Mission Program and started entering info but now it won't even open...AND I am now locked out of the program. Can u please help...Sister Kimberly
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

ktriplet wrote:I downloaded the Ward Mission Program and started entering info but now it won't even open...AND I am now locked out of the program. Can u please help...Sister Kimberly
Assuming you are talking about the program linked to from this post, I would note that that effort is over three years old and nothing has been done on it for a long time. It is simply the effort of one person, so the community here on the forum is unlikely to be able to help you. Your best hope would be to contact the author, Tom Welch.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
logan_s

Post by logan_s »

This post does not exist.

http://discogenie.dyndns.org/areabook
plott

Requested Functionality

Post by plott »

Looks good. But as a WML there is a lot that would be useful but still missing. In the past two years, the amount of data that I am required to keep track of is growing and I've been looking for something to handle it. If I can't convince someone to write it, I'll write it myself.

Functionality, I would suggest:
1. LDS Tools Web services allows for easy download of unit data. Ability to update members lists, without manual entering all 700 members in my ward. Typically, we have around 50+ moves a quarter. So manually entering and deleting is out of the question. Photo storage capability is a plus. You can now download the members photos automatically.

2. Ability to track members. We are now required to track less active and new members. We have to track visits, concerns, lessons, sacrament meeting attendance. We have to know when a visit was made, by whom, what are deadlines for following up on the visit and suggested actions. Less-active attendance (automatically change a members status when they have/have not attended 3 times in the last 3 months). If a new members hasn't attended, we need to keep track of the person contacting the new member, what are the concerns, and plan of action. When you have a ward of 700 members and 500 are less active this is a daunting task. I see places for notes, but not for attendance records.
Automatic changes in members status depending on baptism date. We are required to keep track of the new members for two years, but after the two years they need to be automatically removed from the reports. As well as new members and less active members, we have a designation of Focus Family. We need to be able to designate these families and print weekly forms for these to get and give reports to the RS and priesthood leadership.

3. Ability to easily generate custom reports. The leadership love the reports. We need to be able to print out monthly reports indicating all the statistics from above and correlate that with our yearly goals.

4. Add more of the benchmarks, we need to keep track of.
Missionary Discussions, Commitments, and Concerns
New Members Lessons, Commitments and Concerns (Who taught them)
Baptisms for the Dead
Patriachal Blessing
Endowment
Sealing

5. Ability to send a members record via mail or email. Those members that are removed in the update to ward records should allow for print out or email of records to the new ward.

I'm sure I've forgotten something, since I don't have the reports in front of me.

Here one more. We have blitz 2 times a year. We need to generate a blitz report that we can hand to a member with all the relevent background information for the member being visited including a map. (google maps) The report for the member is then filled out and updated in the system.
reubendunn1

All Apped up and no place to go.

Post by reubendunn1 »

plott wrote:Looks good. But as a WML there is a lot that would be useful but still missing. In the past two years, the amount of data that I am required to keep track of is growing and I've been looking for something to handle it. If I can't convince someone to write it, I'll write it myself.....

I would really wish that someone would blow the cobwebs off of this program and put it back into gear. Given the use of tablets nowadays, something like this would be a great assist to a WML (Moi, for example).

I like the concept. Is there any likelyhood of this being put out for testing/usage?

Return to “Other Member Technologies”